Desktop image wont save - keeps changing back to defaul

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my MacBook Pro and the desktop image. Whenever I select a new image to display, if I move to a different space the desktop image changes back to the default.

I have tried everything I can think of:

- Delete multiple .plist files (preferences, desktop, etc.)
- Deleted the Library>Cache files
- Deleted the User>Library>Cache preferences file
- Disk repair
- Reinstall Snow Leopard OS X
- Even though this is a software issue I even tried an SMC reset and reset the pram

After trying all of these options (at different times and even all at once) I emptied the trash and restarted the computer. The odd thing is, when I log in as a "Guest" I am able to set the desktop image, switch spaces and everything works fine...

Here's some of the info on my system: MacBook Pro 13" | OS Version 10.6.7 | Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You can give the suggestions here a shot. Noone has yet to report back that it worked - neither have they reported back that the problem is persisting.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread in case anyone else runs into the same situation in the future. After trying everything listed in my initial post I took the computer back to the genius bar and after about 30 minutes of work they were able to get the problem fixed. Apparently there were some bad preferences in there that were throwing things off... I guess this could be due to a number of different things (Comp shut down wrong, 3rd party apps, etc.) and isn't something that is easily identified.

As usual the genius bar staff were super helpful and needless to say I'm more than happy to have a sweet new background on my desktop!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.