• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help with file size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2- 24" iMac's. 3.06GHz 8GB Ram 1TB
I have a short film that is about 18 minutes long, that I cut in FCE. I saved it in Quicktime, it is 14.05 GB. I saved on with a lower quality, it is still 1.33GB and the quality is not good. I realize that a feature film is roughly 733 MB. My question is how do I compress it without losing quality? Which program do I need? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Most codecs are lossy which means you loose some information. There are a few that are lossless but you can't get nearly the same compression. Exporting via QuickTime Export you could choose 'none' or 'Apple Pixlet Video', or one of the two Uncompressed options. The files sizes will be huge.

If your purpose is to load this video to YouTube or send in an e-mail, you'll have to pick something more appropriate.

I've written a couple of guides that might be helpful to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
x-

Thanks for the help. I'm about to take a look at your guides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
As usual xstep provides excellent information :)

Some things to keep in mind:

1) An export from FCE to quicktime will export it using the sequence settings - which means that if you are using a sequence configured for Apple Intermediate Codec, that's the output you'll get - AIC is an editing codec, not a distribution codec which is why you end up with a 14gig file :) (be glad it's not Final Cut Pro, the output file could be significantly larger! ;) ).

2) A "feature length" movie at 733mb is dependent on certain things (basically what X was referring to) like:
a) being heavily compressed using a distribution codec potentially causing severe loss of quality and/or
b) resized to a significantly lower resolution allowing for a lower bitrate which allows for a smaller file yet a crisper image (less resolution can deal with a lower bitrate to maintain image quality).

3) To get the size/resolution/etc. that you want, I'd strongly recommend taking the export from FCE and then using a different program to convert it to an output codec. Although FCE offers export using quicktime conversion, there are tools that make the job more convenient - ie: take a look at something like mpegstreamclip. Even when I used FCE I would never do my recompression thru FCE - I'd export the sequence at its settings and then either use compressor (from final cut studio) or mpegstreamclip to get my final output for distribution.

Aside from the fact that using quicktime conversion thru FCE seemed to guess my framerates wrong often (ie: setting for 30 when it's really 29.97 - causes nice audio drift), it's nice to have a master file that you can run multiple compressions on at different settings without having to have FCE open - especially as you're trying to find settings you like or if you need to do a run later. Programs like mpegstreamclip are up and ready to convert/compress a lot faster then launching FCE just to do another export - especially if it's not a recent project and you have to then load the project after launching FCE (plus dedicated conversion software usually have smaller memory/cpu footprints then a tool like FCE does so more resources can go to your conversion then to keeping the FCE interface up on your screen when you don't need it).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nethfel-

Thank you so much. Very helpful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.