Working In Mac Hardware Support

Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this thread is in the right place, so please forgive if not.

I am looking into the idea of getting qualified to repair/work in Mac Hardware. This may include desktops and notebooks. I wondered if people had any experience of Apple Certification and how it rates? Also wondered if there was anyone who works in this area and if they work for a company are self employed etc.

just to give you some background to how I got to these ideas. I work shift work at the moment and have a fair amount of free days. I had a thought that I may be able to use some of this free time for some extra income and this seemed like something I'd be interested in.

I was hoping to either work for myself so I could set my own hours if you like, or work for a company who would take a part time. I am Manchester UK based.

I guess what I'm asking is if this is even a remotely viable idea?
Does anyone have any experience of working this way?
Is Certification worthwhile?

Thanks for reading and for any advice offered.

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
So are you saying you want to become an ACMT?

Reaction score
I don't know how people would view it in the UK, or even in other parts of the US for that matter, but in the region where I live, people who have attempted to do Apple service (at least as a focus) and are not registered as an AASP don't seem to last long. Warranty work seems to be pretty big business for the few AASP companies we have around here, and just having the title seems to create some confidence in consumers--even for non-warranty work. You may find it a bit of an uphill climb to hang a shingle out on your own. Not that it would be impossible, but it would likely take a lot of tough work.

Best wishes to your endeavor.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.