New Mac User - some questions

M

mickrick

I have just acquired a G4 733Mhz in work. I have a pedigree in pc's but want to learn how to use this machine as well (with NO Mac vs. PC smartass comments). It appears to have OS 9.2.2 (default OS) and OS X (don't know which version) installed on a second partition, but there is no dualboot option. How do I select to boot OS X?

I also want to set myself up as the owner of the machine, replacing the previous owner, how do I do this?

I want to use the machine on a Windows network and I've heard that I need something called DAVE to do this. What is this DAVE and where do I get it? Do I really need it?

I have OSX Panther on dvd (works's copy) and if it comes to it, I will need to reformat the HDD and install the OS from scratch. Does the G4 autoboot cd's/dvd's or do I need to go into the BIOS to set this up? How do I enter the BIOS on a Mac?

Finally, I see references on some sites to a "command" key on the Mac keybord, but I cannot find this key. Which key is it?

Sorry for the bottom-rung questions, but I have absolutely no idea at all about these machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
mickrick said:
I have just acquired a G4 733Mhz in work. I have a pedigree in pc's but want to learn how to use this machine as well (with NO Mac vs. PC smartass comments). It appears to have OS 9.2.2 (default OS) and OS X (don't know which version) installed on a second partition, but there is no dualboot option. How do I select to boot OS X?

I also want to set myself up as the owner of the machine, replacing the previous owner, how do I do this?

I want to use the machine on a Windows network and I've heard that I need something called DAVE to do this. What is this DAVE and where do I get it? Do I really need it?

I have OSX Panther on dvd (works's copy) and if it comes to it, I will need to reformat the HDD and install the OS from scratch. Does the G4 autoboot cd's/dvd's or do I need to go into the BIOS to set this up? How do I enter the BIOS on a Mac?

Finally, I see references on some sites to a "command" key on the Mac keybord, but I cannot find this key. Which key is it?

Sorry for the bottom-rung questions, but I have absolutely no idea at all about these machines.

A PC pedigree?? Yikes, I don't even wanna know what that entails :bone:

Anyway, Easy ones first:

1. The "command" key is the Apple key. On a Mac keyboard it is to the left and right of the spacebar (the one with the box with curly edges).

2. There is no "bios" so to speak with a Mac, if you want to boot from an OS installation disc then just hold the "C" key after you hear the boot chime during startup.

3. If you just got the machine used then I would suggest you do a clean install of the OS anyhow, why would you want someone else's stuff/junk/problems.

DAVE?? No idea of what this but your Mac will work just fine on a Windows network as it is is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you dont really need dave to use the mac on a windows network, you just connect it, set it up, that should be it. only thing youll need is a antivirus app. there are no viruses or any other crap that windows has, so its not necessary, but if youre networked with other pc's, its a good idea to have some virus protection on the mac so it can check and doesnt spread from the mac to the pc's.though no virus will harm the mac, it'd be more for your pc's sake.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
rberry88 answered pretty much everything. I will just add, do not even bother with OS9 and Dave. Just use OSX. It's 100x better and will network just fine as is with any windows network. I would 2nd the install of a new OS. I am pretty sure the 733 Power Macs came with a DVD drive so just put in the panther DVD and it should boot, if it does not just hold C after the chime. If you have any problems feel free to come back here and ask away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You got pretty much all your questions answered here...except for dual booting.
There are two ways to change the system you want to boot:
1. Go to the Apple menu -> Control Panel -> Sartup disk. Here you should see the OS X partition. Select it and resatrt the Mac, it'll boot in OS X.
2. Hold the "option"-key (aka "alt"-key) while restarting, and after a little while you will get a list of installed systems (there's no real limit for the ammount of OSs on a Mac), choose the one you want to boot with.

My advice:
Put in the Panther disk, reboot the Mac and hold "c" while startup. It will boot from the CD/DVD. When installing, select "erase and install", it will wipe out the disk and give you a nice and clean OS X installation. That way, you don't have to bother with the old user's data and stuff. If you boot with the installed OS X, I'm pretty sure you can't login because you'll need the password of the old user, if not to login then at least the first time you want to install something. And you won't need OS9 anymore.

Reaction score
If you decide to get anti-virus, don't get norton for mac. I heard it's a real peice of crap.

OP
M

mickrick

Thanks for your hints and tips guys. I've been off a few days so I'll put some of these to the test tomorrow.

OP
J

JGO

Looks like most of your questiosn were answered, however I can offer some more detail on the Windows networking aspect.

To what extent is it to be networked? Just access shares etc... is easy using "Connect to server" then using smb:// .... however being on a windows domain, using ntlm, ipsec, etc... etc... is a different story. It is possible but gets into much greated detail.

OP
J

JGO

BTW forgot to mention:

CONGRATULATIONS

LOL I switched about a year ago, I myself had a STRONG PC background (In fact I still support them for a living) and since going Mac... I can't stand PC's.

Don't feel bad though, I had a bunch of noob questions to, it doesn't matter how well you know Win/*nix .... OSX is a bit different, especially in the UI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you network the Mac to windows PCs, use Virex, if not, you need nothing; windows viruses depend on the os file system core registry which is crap ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.