help me please

G

greaser

So I just got a performa 6400, upgraded to g3, running OS9. my question is how can i run from my 8 prong female plug on the back of the Mac to my Ethernet plug in(fat phone cord) on the back of my modem? If there is an adapter, do you know what its called and where I could get one? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you talking about that strange looking port called an AAUI I believe? If so there are adapters. I will try to find you one on the net. Will also look up the 6400 and see what ports are there.

Edit: ok looked it up. Forgot which it was. You need to get and install a PCI Nic Card. Read this URL Carefully as they cover it all.

http://www.zone6400.com/files/ethernet_cards.html#COMM_II_Ethernet

I forgot I have a 6400. What worked for me was a kingston PCI Nic that came with my older DSL package. Has Mac drivers. I think the Kingston card I have is a 111. Will check later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
moved, thanks for understanding.

OP
B

Badger

Just to expand on what dtravis7 posted: The "eight prong socket" is an Apple serial port, not an ethernet port. The serial ports are for printers, external telephone modems etc. I had a 6400/G3 until 3 weeks ago; I used a SMC ethernet card in mine. As referenced above the 6400 Zone is a great site for info on these models. The home page is occassionally updated, the links are still good and its forum is active.

OP
G

greaser

mac help

dtravis7 said:
Are you talking about that strange looking port called an AAUI I believe? If so there are adapters. I will try to find you one on the net. Will also look up the 6400 and see what ports are there.

Edit: ok looked it up. Forgot which it was. You need to get and install a PCI Nic Card. Read this URL Carefully as they cover it all.

http://www.zone6400.com/files/ethernet_cards.html#COMM_II_Ethernet

I forgot I have a 6400. What worked for me was a kingston PCI Nic that came with my older DSL package. Has Mac drivers. I think the Kingston card I have is a 111. Will check later.

hey thanks for your help i found a Farallon Fast EtherTX (YPN998L-TX/5) Network Adapter is that the one i need? i looked for the nexnic nd010 and couldnt find it anywhere. thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.