How do I make a folder private from other user accounts?

Reaction score
I want to make a folder that can only be accessible from my user account on my iMac. I know that schools and other places with shared account on an iMac have this; it is just a folder with it's name and a small, red negative sign that prevents you form opening it if it is not on your account. I'm not really looking to make a Disc Image thing unless someone wants to give me detailed instructions on it, I already made one and have no idea how to save to it, use it, or even open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
If every user on your Mac has their own, individual user account, then by default no-one will be able to see the contents of another's Home folder. All they will see is the wee red negative sign you describe.

So the short answer is: there is nothing you need "do" to achieve what you intend, beyond set-up User Accounts for everyone that will be regularly using your computer. It all already exists in OS-X as a native part of the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Radio nailed it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Radio's right as long as you remember to store the folder you want to hide somewhere inside your User folder. Someone else who has an admin account on the system would only see it if they know how to change file and folder permissions. If you are really concerned about the security of that folder store it in an encrypted disk image inside your user folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.