• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

good laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
My thoughts....It looks like a nice Windows PC. If that's what you're in the market for, go for it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well to be truthful i was going to upgrade my current Macbook to next years Macbook but I saw that and I don't think apple could top it, plus look at the price. The specs seem pretty good too in my eyes (i'm not that good at computers) :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well to be truthful i was going to upgrade my current Macbook to next years Macbook but I saw that and I don't think apple could top it, plus look at the price. The specs seem pretty good too in my eyes (i'm not that good at computers) :p.

What do you plan on doing with it?

The screen res. is atrocious (I'm still used to my 1920x1080 laptop I sold...). The RAM is older, slower, DDR2 (I'm assuming. I don't know what DDRS is). It has the same graphics card as the MBP's. It's decent if you're just browsing the web, e-mail etc etc. If you want anything more you can do better than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well I was hoping to do some video editing and compose some music.

Should be fine for that.

Just good luck with tech support, if ever needed. Haven't heard much about Acer support.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's an Acer. The Yugo of PCs. Enough said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If your current Macbook is still doing the trick, I would stick with it.
Post christmas sales will bring on some good deal, and also, when the next upgrade to the MBs and MBPs come out, this will also fill up the Apple refurb store with a bunch more options.
I wouldn't have upgraded to the 2.4 GHz i5 that I'm using if my trusty old faithful 2007 Macbook (2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB 5400 RPM HD) didn't get thirsty for a beer :)
It was a gem, and in all honesty, for reasons unbeknown to me, actually handled multi track recordings better than this baby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would be willing to bet the next round of MBP's will probably have Sandy Bridge which
should be important for people looking to get high bench scores. This will probably be
great for people using processor intensive applications on a laptop but for most of us it will shave a few seconds here and there. Until the programs are all 64 bit and can make use of multiple cores without cooking itself and draining a battery faster than a Christmas
morning motorized toy don't see the need.

Reaction score
For Windows 7 system, check out the new Dell XPS laptops, 14" 15" and 17" systems

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I was going to say something similar to this. Acer to me is not the best machine out there. I have an Aspire One Netbook. Display issues in 5 months and I have treated like a new born baby! Bios went dead. 1000's on the net had the same issue leaving them with a bricked machine till Acer came up with a Blind Bios restore utility we all had to use on Flash drive made on another machine and get the Bios back! Hard Drive died in 10 months.

Acer refused to do a thing about the LCD even though I found 100's with the same issue on the Internet and all had the same luck.

Just a heads up.

Migraine said:
For Windows 7 system, check out the new Dell XPS laptops, 14" 15" and 17" systems

If a person really want a Windows notebook, those new Dells are quite good. Check out the review on Anandtech.

But if you like OSX, I would stick with a Mac.

Reaction score
Anything from Acer is craptastic. I happen to own two of the first series Aspire One netbooks (blue and white). Windows was NOT designed for them (at least not XP). Haven't had any major hardware issues yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if one arose any day now…we've had them for three years…along those lines, I do have a 15" Acer that cost $250 USD. If you tried using all four USB ports, the devices fail and the computer slows to a crawl.

If your really want to go further into the craptastic brands, Lenovo, eMachine (which I don't think makes notebooks?) and Gateway are your best bets.

Go with a Dell, or wait for the next best MacBook. Asus isn't all that bad I suppose, but I don't know much about Asus. Toshiba is like a cheap HP/Compaq.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Acer owns Gateway/Emachines - the reason more Acers break down than other brands is because they also play ball in the 200-500 dollar laptop range. Honestly of PCs I fix, I don't see too many Acers, even the low end ones. Come to think of it, I have never seen a high end Acer... in any setting, repair or retail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anything from Acer is craptastic. I happen to own two of the first series Aspire One netbooks (blue and white). Windows was NOT designed for them (at least not XP). Haven't had any major hardware issues yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if one arose any day now…we've had them for three years…along those lines, I do have a 15" Acer that cost $250 USD. If you tried using all four USB ports, the devices fail and the computer slows to a crawl.

If your really want to go further into the craptastic brands, Lenovo, eMachine (which I don't think makes notebooks?) and Gateway are your best bets.

Go with a Dell, or wait for the next best MacBook. Asus isn't all that bad I suppose, but I don't know much about Asus. Toshiba is like a cheap HP/Compaq.

Asus and Toshiba both have lower failure rate percentages than most brands. Asus, Toshiba, and Sony. HP/Compaq has the HIGHEST failure rate of any machine.

I receive between 8-10 computers every day back from our repair center. Part of my duties are unboxing them, testing them, and then calling the client whose machine got repaired. I unbox between 3 and 4 HP/compaq computers every time I work. Seriously. HP is the largest pile of crap company ever. Their high end stuff may be decent, like the Envy series, I don't see any of those, but if you're going to spend that much money, you might as well get a Mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Acer owns Gateway/Emachines

I'm aware. eMachines have always been craptastic and are a perfect fit with Acer's brand. Gateway OTOH, especially when it was run by Ted Waitt, did build some nice machines that were easily on par with their contemporaries. It's a sad shame that they were scooped up by Acer along with eMachines.

- the reason more Acers break down than other brands is because they also play ball in the 200-500 dollar laptop range. Honestly of PCs I fix, I don't see too many Acers, even the low end ones. Come to think of it, I have never seen a high end Acer... in any setting, repair or retail.

I've been servicing PCs professionally for the better part of the last two decades and I can honestly say that most of the issues I've seen with Acers are due to poor design, low-end parts and a general disregard for quality.

In more recent years, I've had a field day replacing Acer laptop screens due to cracks. When you pry the bezel off, what you find is a distinct lack of any kind of structural support or bracing. It's easy for someone to stick it in a laptop bag with a book and with just a little bit of pressure, put a crack in the screen. That could easily be averted with even a modicum of padding or bracing inside the display casing. They could care less about this as they design the product to be disposable. It's not about delivering a good product, it's just about undercutting the other guy and selling something.

Acer is the epitome of the typical Taiwanese conglomerate that has risen from an electronics assembler for other companies to a full-line consumer electronics company by doing it cheaper than anyone else can. They have no penchant for innovation or design and can only copy what the rest of the industry does while simultaneously cost-reducing it. They can't even bother to hire a native-English speaker to help them write manuals or a website. A lot of their stuff is written in "Engrish".

They like to think of themselves as being on par with HP, Dell or even Apple, but the truth is, if it weren't for the ignorance of consumers who buy goods on price alone, they wouldn't be where they are today.

My hope is that as the industry continues to mature, it will become like the automotive market is today. While people certainly shop on price, they also consider quality, total cost of ownership and reliability. One could argue that with the relatively recent resurgence of Apple, that's starting to happen. But there's still plenty of people who scoff at the cost of a MacBook, considering that you can buy two Acer crap-boxes for the cost of one Mac.

Oh boy, I really went off on a tangent. Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I receive between 8-10 computers every day back from our repair center. Part of my duties are unboxing them, testing them, and then calling the client whose machine got repaired. I unbox between 3 and 4 HP/compaq computers every time I work. Seriously. HP is the largest pile of crap company ever. Their high end stuff may be decent, like the Envy series, I don't see any of those, but if you're going to spend that much money, you might as well get a Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an HP fan. But I think you also have to consider that HP sells twice as many machines in the US as a company like ASUS or Toshiba does.

HP builds its share of crap, but they're also competing with the likes of Acer. In general though, I find their machines to be of better quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm aware. eMachines have always been craptastic and are a perfect fit with Acer's brand. Gateway OTOH, especially when it was run by Ted Waitt, did build some nice machines that were easily on par with their contemporaries. It's a sad shame that they were scooped up by Acer along with eMachines.

I've been servicing PCs professionally for the better part of the last two decades and I can honestly say that most of the issues I've seen with Acers are due to poor design, low-end parts and a general disregard for quality.

In more recent years, I've had a field day replacing Acer laptop screens due to cracks. When you pry the bezel off, what you find is a distinct lack of any kind of structural support or bracing. It's easy for someone to stick it in a laptop bag with a book and with just a little bit of pressure, put a crack in the screen. That could easily be averted with even a modicum of padding or bracing inside the display casing. They could care less about this as they design the product to be disposable. It's not about delivering a good product, it's just about undercutting the other guy and selling something.

Acer is the epitome of the typical Taiwanese conglomerate that has risen from an electronics assembler for other companies to a full-line consumer electronics company by doing it cheaper than anyone else can. They have no penchant for innovation or design and can only copy what the rest of the industry does while simultaneously cost-reducing it. They can't even bother to hire a native-English speaker to help them write manuals or a website. A lot of their stuff is written in "Engrish".

They like to think of themselves as being on par with HP, Dell or even Apple, but the truth is, if it weren't for the ignorance of consumers who buy goods on price alone, they wouldn't be where they are today.

My hope is that as the industry continues to mature, it will become like the automotive market is today. While people certainly shop on price, they also consider quality, total cost of ownership and reliability. One could argue that with the relatively recent resurgence of Apple, that's starting to happen. But there's still plenty of people who scoff at the cost of a MacBook, considering that you can buy two Acer crap-boxes for the cost of one Mac.

Oh boy, I really went off on a tangent. Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just saying this is an Acer with an i5 at 899 - still think it's going to be complete crap? I mean usually you get what you pay for, so when you're buying the 350 dollar Acer because "dur I just use the intertubes" or you expect killer performance out of something that is designed to suck and then are extremely disappointed... but like I said, I've never even seen/heard of a high end Acer, so I'm curious. It's probably less likely to break than that 350 dollar one.

Anyway, I will never ever like HP, their computers are complete piles of s*** that break down at amazing rates within the first year of ownership and to boot come pre-loaded with all sorts of extremely useless bloatware and then to top it all off, their DVD burners fail DVD -R at an amazing rate. We have to use +R while burning discs with them since they're all so **** picky, every one of them right out of the box!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an HP fan. But I think you also have to consider that HP sells twice as many machines in the US as a company like ASUS or Toshiba does.

HP builds its share of crap, but they're also competing with the likes of Acer. In general though, I find their machines to be of better quality.

This much is true, but ASUS sells a lot of stuff in the US, especially now. They make quality product and have been supplying boards to US (and British -HP) companies for years. Now the geek subculture has really latched onto them, and they're starting to sell a lot of product here in the states. They make good stuff, no complaints from me yet. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One bad HP model seems to be a DV6000. I have one here that belongs to a friend that asked me to look at it. All lights come on and it just sits there and then reboots and does it again. Nothing on the screen. Did a quick Google search for the issue. Found a thread with probably 1000 people having this same issue with the same machine. Only Fix is a new motherboard and in some cases a new Quick Launch panel. They are dropping like flies. I tried a reset that worked for a few and nothing. One of the longest thread I have seen with people having the same issue with a computer model.

I hope this is not an example of modern HP Notebooks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds about right. Or you're trying to burn your recovery DVDs (what a joke that they don't come with them anymore) and all of a sudden it errors out on you and tells you to put in another DVD, until you realize it's not going to work until you put in a +R. Or you're trying to open up a new one to burn discs for it, and then it blue screens on you right out of the box. Had that happen a couple times. <3 HP.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This much is true, but ASUS sells a lot of stuff in the US, especially now. They make quality product and have been supplying boards to US (and British -HP) companies for years. Now the geek subculture has really latched onto them, and they're starting to sell a lot of product here in the states. They make good stuff, no complaints from me yet. :)

I am very impressed with ASUS' laptop line-up. I have looked at a number of them now and they seem to make a very nice machine.

I would definitely consider them if I were looking for a Windows laptop.

As far as HP notebooks go... by far the biggest failure I get with them is broken DC-in jacks. The complexity to repair them varies - usually involves de-soldering the jack, but I have seen at least one HP - I think it was a dv8000 - that had a plug-in pig tail to the system board.

The restore discs issue is a joke, as are the recovery partitions. I understand saving a buck, but that's just silly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.