iMac disk utility message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac 10.6.2
Hi everyone,
I ran disk utility and got a message - SUID file"systems/library/core services/remote management/ARDAgent.app/contents/macos/ARDAgent. has been modified and will not be repaired.
What does this mean? Can I fix it?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac & 16" MacBook Pro (Intel)
According to Apple you don't need to worry about this message:

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

You can read up on all the details on what SUID is and the security concerns about it and get yourself all worked up if you like, but, personally, I wouldn't bother. All this message means is that the current settings are different than what they were for that file when it was originally installed. However, because things might break if Disk Utility changed them back it issues a warning message instead. These messages are generally caused by software updates from Apple and are not a cause of concern, but if you're really concerned about it you can change the SUID settings to make the message(s) go away. The risk is that you may break the associated application, which is exactly why Disk Utility didn't fix the permissions in the first place.

HTH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.