Warning about MBP LCD spots from heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Just returned from the Apple store. The good news is they are going to replace the LCD panel on my 15 inch MBP. The bad news is their appears to be a design defect on the computers that could impact others.

I was asked whether I put my Mac to sleep or shut down when I transport it... for the record I let my Mac sleep once since I got it, otherwise I always do a complete shut down. The genius said that when they are put to sleep and then put in a laptop bag they can get too hot which damages the LCD screen over time. The damage will start out as a dark spot near the center of the screen where the pixels will be dimmer than the surrounding area... on mine it was about the size of a dime in one area and another area about the size of a quarter was starting to show up 1 inch down from it.... not that noticeable if you had the brightness up full blast but noticeable in a dim room with the screen set low.

The only thing I do that could cause any heat is to plug it into a desktop or TV and close the lid to use it... They said that should be alright... BUT since that is the only thing I've done that could have caused sustained heat, I'm not too sure if I believe this or not.

So a word of Warning to anyone that likes to use their MBP as a desktop, don't close the lid when you do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is that a unibody? Glossy or matte screen?

Just wondering if any of those factors could make a difference.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Is that a unibody? Glossy or matte screen?

Just wondering if any of those factors could make a difference.

Mine is a Late 2008 uni-body 2.4... the only thing that might make it run hotter than normal is that I have it set up to use the 9600M video card all the time and not the 9400... I must admit that when I first got it it did tend to run a bit hotter than I thought safe so I installed one of those utilities to run set the fan triggers and lowered the trigger temps... So from my standpoint I think I've tried to keep it as cool as possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.