New Website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
My Website

I put together a tutorial on mapping network shares, also has a bit on automator. It should be updated every few days or so with a new tutorial for us switchers & new users on how to do things on a Mac that we used to take for granted on a PC.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice going! i have signatures turned off, did you add it there? (i guess i could just check your profile...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
gotta love the default black layout!!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is the load time for my website? Is it slow, fast, average? My Comcast 6Mbps cable is too fast for me to gauge load time :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its pretty fast and i have the same connection as you

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, hopefully it won't be a painful wait for those stuck on dial-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it shouldnt. just keep your layout minimal like it is now and dail up users should be alright

Reaction score
Came up pretty fast for me (1MBPS cable modem), but there are pictures of some funny looking dude all over the place. Did you get hacked already?

:)

(tried to give you rep, the system wouldn't let me ... it must not like those pics either :p )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Came up pretty fast for me (1MBPS cable modem), but there are pictures of some funny looking dude all over the place. Did you get hacked already?

:)

(tried to give you rep, the system wouldn't let me ... it must not like those pics either :p )

those where pics on a mac skin on windows xp ;)

M

MacHeadCase

How is the load time for my website? Is it slow, fast, average? My Comcast 6Mbps cable is too fast for me to gauge load time :blind:

It loads fast for me (DSL cable) and what a great idea for a website! Bravo!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are some pics of a weird-looking guy that turned up in my Photo Library... my wife said he was a good-looking guy and he should model on my website :alien: - so I put him (me) on there.

Yes, that is an OS X Graphite skin on my PC... not a particular fan of the native XP interface, so it all looks like a Mac. Kind of ironic (and a bit off topic) IE 7 doesn't show up right when skinned, although FireFox 2.0 skins very pleasantly... :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
loads fine on dsl... switching to fiber optic tomorrow its an 8 hour install :\ so i will let you know tomorrow how it loads on that connection...

Its a nice site btw.. and a good idea too.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'll let you know how it loads on t-1 tomorrow... :p

actually with smallish sites like that, t-1 (at least on our network at work) is normally no faster than cable. though for big downloads it cranks!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a bit of investigating I discovered a beautiful thing... iWeb resizes images to fit in it's little pre-formed boxes. It crops the image and sets the quality for web, leaving you with an ideal picture, and not using a ton of space. No wonder it loads quickly, the images are ~50kb instead of the 4mb originals... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your article "Automated Share Mapping" is missing an image regarding the Windows sharing feature just below the text; Choose "enable file sharing.".

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Although the site text loads quickly for me, its about another six seconds before the photos display. I read somewhere recently that web visitors will only wait four seconds maximum!

OP
nukemm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your article "Automated Share Mapping" is missing an image regarding the Windows sharing feature just below the text; Choose "enable file sharing.".

Noted. I'll fix it when I get home... there's a space in the file name (I should know better).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Noted. I'll fix it when I get home... there's a space in the file name (I should know better).
I don't think the space should matter. A browser will adapt to that and the server should just serve it up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.