iBook G4 _ What can i do?

Reaction score
Yeah , i've gotten an ibook g4 and i want to know exactly what things i can get because i know most things aren't able to work with this mac because its a powerPC not Intel.

And i mean specifically like applications like microsoft word?
Firefox
Chrome
Video games?

Anything and everything is appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, depending on the CPU speed, it could be quite an old machine. The last iBooks were produced in 2005, but the G4 version was around well before then.

The latest MS Office suite for Mac (including Word) will require an Intel processor. You should probably look for 2008 or older.

Likewise, the latest Firefox requires an Intel processor, but older versions should work.

The latest Chrome is Intel only, but not sure about earlier versions (Chrome hasn't been around all that long).

Not sure what games in particular you're looking at, but you're not going to find many (if any) recent titles. Certainly not anything on Steam.

So, it's really hard to answer your question - particularly since you didn't list what version of OS X you're running or any specifics about the hardware (including RAM and CPU speed).

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, depending on the CPU speed, it could be quite an old machine. The last iBooks were produced in 2005, but the G4 version was around well before then.

The latest MS Office suite for Mac (including Word) will require an Intel processor. You should probably look for 2008 or older.

Likewise, the latest Firefox requires an Intel processor, but older versions should work.

The latest Chrome is Intel only, but not sure about earlier versions (Chrome hasn't been around all that long).

Not sure what games in particular you're looking at, but you're not going to find many (if any) recent titles. Certainly not anything on Steam.

So, it's really hard to answer your question - particularly since you didn't list what version of OS X you're running or any specifics about the hardware (including RAM and CPU speed).

Mac os X
Version 10.4.11
1.2ghz
1.25gb RAM

Uhm , researched right now and i have the late 2004 one.

And i didn't mean specifically those applications i meant like those , word processors and internet browers and video games or just any other APP's :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own the 1.33Ghz 2005 version. With your specs you could upgrade to OSX 10.5 Leopard which would help with some newer software that is still Power PC.

Google Chrome has always been Intel Only. Firefox just before 4 will all work. Also look for TenFourFox which is a ported Firefox 4 for the Power PC! Works great. Just be sure the applications you go for say Power PC or Universal. Universal will run on both Intel and Power PC.

If I knew exactly what applications you needed, I can make you a list of those that will work with URL's where to get them.

C

chas_m

You're very smart to be running the latest version of Tiger, that is a big help.

Here's a good site with older versions of apps for older OSes:
Old Version for Mac Downloads - OldApps.com

You should be able to still find -- either from this site or just checking the developers' sites -- a well-rounded suite of software that will keep you in the loop.

But really, there's no long-term future for that machine -- it's already six years old. Running older versions of the apps will do fine for a while, but if I were you I'd start saving for an Intel Mac. Doesn't have to be new, it just has to be newer.

OP
R
Reaction score
I own the 1.33Ghz 2005 version. With your specs you could upgrade to OSX 10.5 Leopard which would help with some newer software that is still Power PC.

Google Chrome has always been Intel Only. Firefox just before 4 will all work. Also look for TenFourFox which is a ported Firefox 4 for the Power PC! Works great. Just be sure the applications you go for say Power PC or Universal. Universal will run on both Intel and Power PC.

If I knew exactly what applications you needed, I can make you a list of those that will work with URL's where to get them.

Thanks, uhm i don't need specific software i just want to see what im able to get.
As for the list getting it is no problem but if you can make a list of some applications i'd appreciate it :D!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, uhm i don't need specific software i just want to see what im able to get.
As for the list getting it is no problem but if you can make a list of some applications i'd appreciate it :D!

I think that YOU need to be more specific regarding the apps. you're interested in. There are probably hundreds of apps. (maybe even thousands) that could run even on your older computer. These apps may not be "full-blown" modern apps...but older apps. that can be purchased used off e-Bay or downloaded (shareware/trial versions) off the internet.

If you don't have specific app needs...asking us to "make a list" of available apps is REALLY a lot of work...and NOT REALLY what we do. If you have a specific need or a few specific needs...great...we can help suggesting some apps.

But just asking us for a list of available apps (with no specific purpose or need in mind) is really asking a lot!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I used to play UT2004 on my 2004 iBook G4 when I had it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.