Game requires OS X (native) - what is that and how do I get it?

Reaction score
Hi - I am a frustrated mother right now. We just bought a new mac a few months ago and today we bought the game Where in the U.S.A is Carmen Sandiego. On the back of the game it says that the system requirements for Macintosh are Mac OS 8.6-9.2., OS X (native). I assumed that our computer would be able to play this game as it's brand new with OS X (that is what the new ones come with, correct?). But when I put in the game it says that it cannot open it because a classic environment is no longer supported. Any ideas of why and what is going on? Is there anything I can do to be able to play this game? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks so much!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My guess is that the game was originally developed quite a long time ago, despite the fact that it was brand new in the box. Although it might have worked with the older OS 9 (predecessor to OS X) and early versions of OS X, its design predated the existence of modern versions of OS X (now in it's fifth major revision - 10.5).

I would either contact the developer's tech support (if there is a number of web page address provided in the documentation) or return the game from where you bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact that version came out in about 1993.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.