Applications crashing when connected wirelessly

Reaction score
I've got a macbook w/2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.6.3 and am having a problem that's flumoxing everyone, including my IT guy here at the office.

Everything runs fine when I'm connected to my office network either via ethernet or airport. The problem seems to come in when I disconnect the laptop and take it out into the field.

When I connect to a wireless network other than my office network, applications such as MS Word, Acrobat Pro, PhotoShop, Entourage and others are locking up and returning "Application Not Responding" errors.

Once again, this problem ONLY comes up when I'm away from my office, connected via airport to a wireless network. I've noticed the same problem occurs if I'm not connected to any network as well.

Any advice????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears the applications you're referring to - Office, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. have been installed to your Office server and that's where their main files are kept. You access them OK when using your Office network but when not on the network, you can't. That's normal. (Airport or ethernet has nothing to do with the problem.)

Unless you have a full separate independent install of all those applications on your MacBook and the settings for them are on the MacBook, that problem will occur.

The best way to set that up is to maintain two different log in identities on the MacBook. One for when you're in the office and on their network, the other when you're out in the field. That means the apps will have to be installed again using the "away from the office" log in.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
It appears the applications you're referring to - Office, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. have been installed to your Office server and that's where their main files are kept. You access them OK when using your Office network but when not on the network, you can't. That's normal. (Airport or ethernet has nothing to do with the problem.)

Unless you have a full separate independent install of all those applications on your MacBook and the settings for them are on the MacBook, that problem will occur.

The best way to set that up is to maintain two different log in identities on the MacBook. One for when you're in the office and on their network, the other when you're out in the field. That means the apps will have to be installed again using the "away from the office" log in.

Regards.

Thanks, but that is not the problem. The install of these applications was all done by me, locally on my machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.