Dare it touch the desk?

I

iSheep

I've been looking through the setup's thread and pretty much every single PowerBook and iBook is sitting on something else.

Reasons for this? It just seems like everybody has a phobia of putting it on their desk. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Mines on my desk....A lot of people just want to have the best ventilation so there is no chance of overheating

OP
S

s_ton

nicholas said:
Mine's on the desk too. Glass desk.

Dude, that's insane.

I keep mine on my desk. Or whatever table is available when in around the house. I just make sure it's clean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I keep mine on a desk. It does get hot but I keep the A/C on.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Okay, when I am not at a desk, mine set on a marble floor tile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I never set mine on my desk, gets way too hot that way. It's always sitting about an inch off the desk, on some bottle caps, drops the temperature by about 10 degrees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Osiris22x said:
I never set mine on my desk, gets way too hot that way. It's always sitting about an inch off the desk, on some bottle caps, drops the temperature by about 10 degrees.

Bottle caps? Good idea, but is it safe? I mean, will it not melt the plastic or something like that? Really, is it safe? :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Mines on a glass desk... with a heat sink attached. If your cautious about overheating then may i suggest one of those super cool gadgets.

I have one of those!
attachment.php

those are the other options....
attachment.php

but this one really cool...
(side-top view with powerbook)
attachment.php

(side-top)
attachment.php

(underside)
attachment.php

p_mf.jpg

p_me.jpg

sg35_1.jpg

sg35_3.jpg

sg35_4.jpg

OP
V

vjamacaddict

Cooling the G4 iBook !!

There are some really cool gadgets for cooling the iBook!! I'll have to try one of those.

-- vjamacaddict

hype.it said:
Mines on a glass desk... with a heat sink attached. If your cautious about overheating then may i suggest one of those super cool gadgets.

I have one of those!
attachment.php

those are the other options....
attachment.php

but this one really cool...
(side-top view with powerbook)
attachment.php

(side-top)
attachment.php

(underside)
attachment.php

OP
T

tariq

i leave mine on the desk or lap. i might have to try something like that bottlecap trick because the temperature reaches ~60C when playing games...that worries me

OP
C

Cloudane

Sits on a desk. I can understand all the cooling solutions for l33t PC overclockers squeezing an extra 2MHz out of their 4GHz Athlons at the expense of 60ºC, but why for a Mac? If it overheats, and you're treating it how the handbook tells you to treat it, then it's a design flaw and it shouldn't happen.

OP
S

SingTheSorrow05

Mine Goes with me everywhere Sits on the Grass, on cement, sits on top of tree trunks, that funny material they use to make benches so skaters cant skate it, sits on my bed, couch, right now on my bed, School Desk, on my skateboard, top of my car or wherever on my car on my dash, it goes everywhere with me.

OP
T

tariq

I tried the bottle cap solution but it only provided a minimal change in temperature and was more trouble than it was worth.

OP
C

Cloudane

Cool that it goes everywhere with you :) Make sure you don't let it out of your sight... EVER :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.