Mail Folders

Reaction score
I use Bell South webmail as my email and I set up the mail app on my MB to work with the account and I have a couple of questions...

1.) It appears that when I receive an email and I check it in the mail app and read it, when I go to my webmail account via Safari the msg does not appear there.... Is that normal?

2.) I have folders in my webmail account where I store emails from seperate Universities & Colleges, apple, credit cards ect... Is there any way to have those folders in the mail app?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
1. Yes, this is normal. Bellsouth uses POP3 mail service. This means that they store the email on their server until you download it to your Mac via the Mail app. At that point, they delete it from their server.

This can be changed in the Mail app at Mail > Preferences > Accounts. Select your account on the left (if you have more than one). Click the 'Advanced' tab. Uncheck the box that says 'Remove a copy from server after retrieving message'.

Note that the messages will stay with Bellsouth until you manually delete them via webmail. You will need to monitor your allotted storage space via webmail and manually delete messages (via webmail) as necessary.

2. Mail allows the creation of multiple mailboxes (folders) for this purpose. Mailbox > New Mailbox will create additional folders you can drag messages to, for the purposes of sorting. You will also note an option to create Smart Mailboxes. These allow you to create criteria which Mail uses to sort emails into folders automatically. Setting the sorting criteria is pretty simple.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ok cool, thanks for the quick answers that is exactly what I was looking for!
One more question....

I have mail set to run automatically when I boot up so I don't even visit my webmail page anymore... Are all these messages actually saved on my HDD and using my HDD space?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.