Building a Mac Pro Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
Is is possible to Build a Mac Pro. I see all the parts on ebay including the empty case. Want to know if you all think that it is worth it to build Mac Pro or buy one from Apple.

I have plenty of experience building Win servers and desktops, I want challenge of building a Mac Pro. I wanted to know if the Apple Guru's would recommend building a Mac Pro or buying a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Me personally, I would buy ( a new or refurbished ) one for the sole reason that I would not have to worry about compatibility issues between hardware components itself or between hardware components and the OS.
I can understand the challenge and the satisfaction you get from actually building one.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's possible to "build" a Mac Pro...if you're using all genuine Apple parts. Of course all you're really doing is gathering together & reassembling the parts that some other folks disassembled.

As far as whether to build a Mac Pro or get one from Apple. Well firstly the only Mac Pro you can currently get from Apple is a 2010 Mac Pro (the latest model)...and I can almost guarantee you...you're not going to find all the parts you need to assemble one of these.

Most likely...the only Mac Pro you're going to be able to build/reassemble would be an older model Mac Pro (which Apple no longer sells).

So the decision to build a Mac Pro or get one from Apple is not really a equivalent situation...since if you build one it will be older (less performance) than if you buy a new one (newer model).

Generally speaking with the cost of genuine Apple parts (I'm talking used parts from Mac Pro's that someone else disassembled)...it will cost you more to build/reassemble a Mac Pro...then it would cost to purchase the same exact model Mac Pro fully assembled.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air
Build Macbook pro

Yeah it is possible some times, But It's too much tough with the macbook applications changes in macbook pro.

OP
RattlerMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
I was thinking that someone would say it would cost me about the same amount of money to build from scratch as to buy a Mac Pro from Apple. I will buy for Apple.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was thinking that someone would say it would cost me about the same amount of money to build from scratch as to buy a Mac Pro from Apple. I will buy for Apple.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

If you were indeed trying to build a comparable Mac Pro as that is available from Apple currently, AND you happen to find all the parts for it somewhere, then the price difference will most likely be a wash except with you having spent a TON more hours trying to find all the pieces..

But as Nick said, the parts that are readily available are usually from older Mac Pro's that don't really compare to what Apple is selling right now..

Reaction score
I completely rebuilt my G4 PowerMac using off the shelf parts into an intel i7 what I call PowerMac Pro.

I have a 2006 MacPro as well, but my PowerMac runs circles round it. Depends what you want. Rock solid reliability, no update 'quirks', and truly plug and forget. go straight to Apple.

Something different to the norm, and true flexibility, well because all Mac's are intel based, the world is your oyster....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.