connectivity issues after "maintenance" attempt, please help! Mac Mini 2.1

Reaction score
I need help!

I have a Mac Mini 2.1 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB, which I bought in 2007/08.

I tried opening it for a little maintenance check (dust wiping, etc) for the first time on my own. Now I have these issues that I don't know how to fix.

Safari, Mail and, most importantly, Software Update on't connect at all. I can connect in Adium but just to see the contacts window, the message window is blank, I can receive a message or send one, but nothing appears, it stays blank. Also, on Dashboard, widgets that connect to the internet, such as Dictionary (dropdown menu is empty, unclickable) and Google's Language Translator don't answer to searches. iStat Pro, Currency converter, calculator an other non-internet dependent widgets seem to be working properly. And oddly enough, Firefox, which I luckily had installed, also works fine (I'm using it to write this thread).

I've never had any of these problems before opening up the Mac.

Here's some mistakes I made while performing maintenance:

1-Not knowing how to properly disassemble it (and having a headache of a couple days non sleep) I accidentally disconnected the cd/dvd drive from the chip it was connect to, which in turn got disconnected from it's socket on the motherboard. I didn't notice it was out of it's socket so when I first reassembled it there was this folder flashing with a question mark on it. Shortly after I opened it up again and fixed that and after switching it on again, it worked.

2-However, when I was reassembling it for the second time, I accidentaly disconnected the wi-fi antenna from the processor on the 'MAIN' port. I reconnected it and closed it up.

I also forgot to connect the cooling fan sensor to the motherboard, but that's not part of the problem.

So now I've got this problem. I've tried reinstalling Snow Leopard, repairing disk and permissions with Disk Utility but nothing. Also tried restarting the Dashboard preferences through Terminal 'killAll Dock' command and deleting the ~/Library/Preferences files but the widgets continue to answer the same way.

I know it looks kinda obvious but there seems to be a problem in connectivity only with Mac related apps, and I have no idea what to do about it.

Here's the status I'm getting:

-System Profiler > AirPort

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.1)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
AirPort Utility: 5.5.1 (551.19)
IO80211 Family: 3.1.1 (311.1)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Firmware Version: Atheros 5424: 2.0.19.10
Locale: FCC
Country Code:
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Current Network Information:
dlink:
PHY Mode: 802.11g
BSSID: 0:1c:f0:ea:a8:7
Channel: 1
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: None
Signal / Noise: -65 dBm / -96 dBm
Transmit Rate: 36

- iStat Pro (com o Mac há +- 4 horas ligado)

AirPort - en1
192.1**.*.***
In: 0kb/s (151MB)
Out: 0kb/s (21MB)
Ext: Updating

Please someone help me!

Thanks!
Tomaz

OP
T
Reaction score
I need help!

I have a Mac Mini 2.1 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB, which I bought in 2007/08.

I tried opening it for a little maintenance check (dust wiping, etc) for the first time on my own. Now I have these issues that I don't know how to fix.

Safari, Mail and, most importantly, Software Update on't connect at all. I can connect in Adium but just to see the contacts window, the message window is blank, I can receive a message or send one, but nothing appears, it stays blank. Also, on Dashboard, widgets that connect to the internet, such as Dictionary (dropdown menu is empty, unclickable) and Google's Language Translator don't answer to searches. iStat Pro, Currency converter, calculator an other non-internet dependent widgets seem to be working properly. And oddly enough, Firefox, which I luckily had installed, also works fine (I'm using it to write this thread).

I've never had any of these problems before opening up the Mac.

Here's some mistakes I made while performing maintenance:

1-Not knowing how to properly disassemble it (and having a headache of a couple days non sleep) I accidentally disconnected the cd/dvd drive from the chip it was connect to, which in turn got disconnected from it's socket on the motherboard. I didn't notice it was out of it's socket so when I first reassembled it there was this folder flashing with a question mark on it. Shortly after I opened it up again and fixed that and after switching it on again, it worked.

2-However, when I was reassembling it for the second time, I accidentaly disconnected the wi-fi antenna from the processor on the 'MAIN' port. I reconnected it and closed it up.

I also forgot to connect the cooling fan sensor to the motherboard, but that's not part of the problem.

So now I've got this problem. I've tried reinstalling Snow Leopard, repairing disk and permissions with Disk Utility but nothing. Also tried restarting the Dashboard preferences through Terminal 'killAll Dock' command and deleting the ~/Library/Preferences files but the widgets continue to answer the same way.

I know it looks kinda obvious but there seems to be a problem in connectivity only with Mac related apps, and I have no idea what to do about it.

Here's the status I'm getting:

-System Profiler > AirPort

Software Versions:
Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.1)
System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
AirPort Utility: 5.5.1 (551.19)
IO80211 Family: 3.1.1 (311.1)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86)
Firmware Version: Atheros 5424: 2.0.19.10
Locale: FCC
Country Code:
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Current Network Information:
dlink:
PHY Mode: 802.11g
BSSID: 0:1c:f0:ea:a8:7
Channel: 1
Network Type: Infrastructure
Security: None
Signal / Noise: -65 dBm / -96 dBm
Transmit Rate: 36

- iStat Pro (com o Mac há +- 4 horas ligado)

AirPort - en1
192.1**.*.***
In: 0kb/s (151MB)
Out: 0kb/s (21MB)
Ext: Updating

Please someone help me!

Thanks!
Tomaz

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure you got the Airport antenna plugged back into the Airport Extreme card correctly? It's very hard sometimes to get it centered and clicked down into place. The is the Bluetooth Antenna wire also.

In the bar up top by the clock, how is the Airport signal strength? There should be an icon up there.

Also please don't post the same post in multiple forums. I merged them together.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I'm positive. I've actually re-opened it more then once to check if the antennas were properly connected. I even google'd where and how they should be plugged in.

The AirPort icon is full blown, I'm using Firefox right now and the connection is like a bullet. I can't really put my finger on it but this seems to be a software issue maybe, somehow related to Mac applications. But I'm not really a computer connoisseur so I'm really adrift here.

----

And forgive me for posting it twice, I wasn't sure under which category would be more effective and I'm desperate!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ah ok. You did not state before that the icon is full signal. That makes is more difficult to diagnose as now it makes no sense. Just taking it apart and putting it together should not affect OSX. As you know the bits can't fall out of the hard drive! :D Grin JK

I will do some thinking and get back to you. You say firefox works? Just Apple Apps do not work? Give me and others here a list of what works on the Internet and what does not. What IP is showing in Network/Airport/TCP-IP?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, Firefox works just fine. I'm having issues with

-Safari
-Apple Mail
-Software Update
-all the internet-dependent Dashboard widgets
-Adium also has this issue, nothing appears in the message window, this doesn't seem to be related with the main connectivity issue, although it did start along with it

All these apps seem to be unable to connect at all. By some mysterious reason Firefox is - thankfully - not being affected.

I tried running uTorrent and it's not connecting either, I'd guess it must be interfering in virtually all applications' connectivity as well. Microsoft Office, which checks for updates every time it's initialized, is also being affected.

-Network > AirPort > TCP/IP:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.0.1

I'll list here anything you need to know, just let me know. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Update:

I just tried updating Firefox to see if it would work but no. I successfully (think so) updated to Firefox version 3.6.10 and it has officially stopped connecting as well. It won't even get to saying mine is the latest version. Luckily I have another computer at home!

OP
T
Reaction score
An update to the situation:

I opened Mail almost accidentally and it started retrieving my mail, very slowly though, and then it went on to update my RSS feeds, also very slowly. Surprised, I tried to run Software Update, but that didn't go through. However, it did suggest me to run Network Diagnostics, which had not been asked before. I guess with this little "leak" of connectivity it was able to give a sign of life and reacted to it as if it was a minor network problem.

On the Network Diagnostics window it showed the Network Status and all of its elements/settings as if they were working normally:

AirPort √
AirPort Settings √
Network Settings √
ISP √
Internet √
Server √

When I started running the diagnostics, firstly it did not recognize my default house connection, so it asked me to select 'Automatic' and click 'Continue' as it went on to look for other networks. It did find my default network quickly and said my internet connection seemed to be working properly, so I tried running 'Software Update' again (meanwhile Mail was still slowly updating my mail) only to get the same message suggesting me to run Network Diagnostics, which I did once more.

Same thing happened. I tried 'Software Update' once again just to get the message one more time, except this time while it was looking for other networks I got an error message, which I can't recall, and all of a the connection fell. Mail stopped retrieving my mail and feeds, with those infamous exclamation mark and electricity signs next to the account and rss "icons" and on the Network Diagnostics I got this message:

"This computer was unable to join the AirPort Network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name (which I did not), chosen the wrong type of wireless security, or you may be out of range of the base station (which I also don't think is the case, since I'm on a macbook right beside the Mac Mini). To change your previous choices click Go Back.

and in Network Status:

Aiport √
AirPort Settings - Failed
Network Settings - Failed
ISP - Failed
Internet - Failed
Server - Failed

Then I clicked Go Back and it found my default connection once again. The Network Status went back to positive, but when I run Software Update the same thing keeps happening every time.

Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.