Bloody Macs !!

Reaction score
Just updated the software on my elderly mums new iMac for her to the Maverick 10.9.2 . Left it with her while it downloaded over the next 4 hours. She lives in Dorset, I live in London. Just got a phone call from her to say it won't let her do anything as it's requiring a new password etc, she followed all the instructions and it still not letting her into the Mac . As as old Windows user she's not impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The only password it should be asking for is the one for the user account on the iMac that she is logged in on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you were updating from a previous versions of Mavericks to 10.9.2, apart from the Apple ID password required to begin the update, there should be absolutely no other passwords being asked, and it should definitely not require any new passwords..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it was a four hour download was a complete new operating system. OS X.9 to OS X.9.2 tasks minutes rather than hours. And to update to Mavericks will require user and Apple ID passwords.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
It was from the Operating system used in new Macs from November 2013, was that Mountain Lion ? There were new software installations available when I looked on Monday, one was the Mavericks installation which I left loading upon my return to London. It said 4 hours left.

She said when she restarted the iMac it was asking her to set new passwords etc before she could start using.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was from the Operating system used in new Macs from November 2013, was that Mountain Lion ? There were new software installations available when I looked on Monday, one was the Mavericks installation which I left loading upon my return to London. It said 4 hours left.

She said when she restarted the iMac it was asking her to set new passwords etc before she could start using.

New Macs came with Mavericks in November 2013. I quite frankly have no idea what you guys did, but I can guarantee you that it isn't the OS asking to create a new password, unless she did something like set up a new user account, which is NOT something that the OS would have randomly done or prompted you to do either.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
New Macs came with Mavericks in November 2013. I quite frankly have no idea what you guys did, but I can guarantee you that it isn't the OS asking to create a new password, unless she did something like set up a new user account, which is NOT something that the OS would have randomly done or prompted you to do either.

She purchased the new iMac in November last year, 2013 at the Apple Store in Southampton England. It didn't come with Maverick installed as it was like a 5GB or so update on Monday this week.
Just checked on google and yes Mavericks came out in UK in October 2013, so I'm thinking, why the **** did the Apple Store sell her a brand new iMac with an old Operating System on ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She purchased the new iMac in November last year, 2013 at the Apple Store in Southampton England. It didn't come with Maverick installed as it was like a 5GB or so update on Monday this week.
Just checked on google and yes Mavericks came out in UK in October 2013, so I'm thinking, why the **** did the Apple Store sell her a brand new iMac with an old Operating System on ?

She may have bought a new iMac that was in stock or left the factory BEFORE Mavericks was released. And the last major update to Mavericks was this past February. See release history.
OS X Mavericks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were a couple security updates since then I believe, but nothing like 5GB in size or requiring that lengthy of a download. Again, we gave no idea what you guys actually did. If anything, it sounds like maybe you reinstalled Mavericks from scratch.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
While Mavericks may have been available in October, the iMac was likely built a few weeks prior and the OS X version available was installed on it. They do not update the OS on a built machine. Back in the day, if a new version of OS X came up within 30 or so days of a purchase of a Mac, the upgrade was at no cost.

Since Mavericks is a free OS upgrade, that is no longer a issue..

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
She may have bought a new iMac that was in stock or left the factory BEFORE Mavericks was released. And the last major update to Mavericks was this past February. See release history.
OS X Mavericks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were a couple security updates since then I believe, but nothing like 5GB in size or requiring that lengthy of a download. Again, we gave no idea what you guys actually did. If anything, it sounds like maybe you reinstalled Mavericks from scratch.

Yes as I stated earlier it was a Mavericks upgrade from the older software, Mountain Lion or what ever other stupid cat name Mac used before.

Anyway not to worry, I'll sort it out next time I visit her, thanks for helping all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.