Graphics card driver upgrade problem with Windows

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm running Windows XP SP3 through Bootcamp on a iMac Intel Dual Core 3.06Ghz with an NVidia GeForce 8800GS graphics card. The Bootcamp is fine and has been running seamlessly for nearly 2 years. I've upgraded the drivers on the graphics card at least twice in that time with no problem, downloading the latest ones from the NVidia sight and installing over the existing one. I've come to up date the driver again and have got a message on the installation window "unable to find hardware to match the driver" or words to that effect. I've tried uninstalling the drivers I've got and letting Windows recognise the graphics card again and load the default drivers, which works ok (196.10) but I still get the same error when I try to load the latest ones(275.45). The graphics card is showing in the device manager which says it's working ok. I've also tried about three other drivers, newer than the default ones, all with the same message. Anyone any ideas what's happening and how to get around it.
Regards,
Fizz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi all,
I'm running Windows XP SP3 through Bootcamp on a iMac Intel Dual Core 3.06Ghz with an NVidia GeForce 8800GS graphics card. The Bootcamp is fine and has been running seamlessly for nearly 2 years. I've upgraded the drivers on the graphics card at least twice in that time with no problem, downloading the latest ones from the NVidia sight and installing over the existing one. I've come to up date the driver again and have got a message on the installation window "unable to find hardware to match the driver" or words to that effect. I've tried uninstalling the drivers I've got and letting Windows recognise the graphics card again and load the default drivers, which works ok (196.10) but I still get the same error when I try to load the latest ones(275.45). The graphics card is showing in the device manager which says it's working ok. I've also tried about three other drivers, newer than the default ones, all with the same message. Anyone any ideas what's happening and how to get around it.
Regards,
Fizz

I've had problems installing nVidia's drivers in the past when I already installed Apple's Boot Camp drivers. It appears that Apple is blocking the installation of 3rd party hardware drivers. The only way I was ever able to use nVidia's drivers was to install Windows but NOT use Apple's BC drivers. This does pose problems because getting proper hardware drivers for all your components otherwise may not even be possible. It also may not even be a good idea to bypass Apple's route, at least not in iMacs. These components are working in very tight quarters and their drivers may be best optimized to account for the operating environment they are in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.