Does an Ipod touch run on USB power?

Reaction score
So i aquired a broken ipod touch. (2ndg 8gb) and the thing does not want to power up. My computer won't recognize it or anything. No apple logo when i plug it in. But i was thinking if the LCD was bad on it then my computer would still recognize it. When I have it plugged in, would it still run off usb power if the battery was bad? I am thinking i might have to replace the battery but i am completely new with these things. I have the whole thing apart right now so I can easily replace the battery with a little bit of solder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From my experience with my iPhone, if the battery is STONE dead, it might take a few minutes or more before the thing comes alive even when plugged into a USB port. A Friend let his run down and sit many months. It took 10 minutes or longer before the Apple would appear after I pressed the power button up top.

OP
M
Reaction score
From my experience with my iPhone, if the battery is STONE dead, it might take a few minutes or more before the thing comes alive even when plugged into a USB port. A Friend let his run down and sit many months. It took 10 minutes or longer before the Apple would appear after I pressed the power button up top.

Ive let it sit on the dock and computer for hours and still nothing. I'm just wondering if the motherboard is shot or if its the battery. So basically im just wondering if you can bypass the battery and use usb power. that would tell me if it was the motherboard. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.