• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
hi all,
i've been using handbrake to back-up some of my dvds onto my hard drive. it works great, yadda yadda. most 2 hour movies end up at about 500 mb (in an mp4 format). i have the 12" powerbook, so wathing movies on my tv through my computer is no prob. quality/sound is actually pretty decent. i do have one question though: is it possible to take that 500mb mp4 video file and somehow burn it onto a dvd disc that could be played on any regular dvd player? (not a computer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea just use toast, i believe it can handle mp4 files. if not i would def suggest you start ripping with mactheripper to create a video_ts folder set and then use toast to compress and burn...then delete the stuff from your had drive and it will play on 98% of dvd players
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
Yes, toast has a very easy-to-use DVD authoring method built in. You just drag the file, name a few thing, choose some others...and burn. I burn all my....'backups' like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Use MacTheRipper instead of Handbrake and you'll have the entire full quality DVD with everything including extras, chapter selection, etc. Then select the folder created by MacTheRipper with the DVD's title and burn it with Popcorn or Toast 7 (Has to be one of the two because they compress it so it fits on a DVD-R or DVD+R).

S

sbrad009

I have Mac the Ripper and I went ahead and ripped a DVD to my harddrive, then what do I do? I have toast but what do I burn it as?

Data?
iso?
DVD?

what settings do I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
You use Video -> DVD Video from VIDEO_TS.

Then just drag the folder MTR created.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.