is iPhoto scrolling slow for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I was playing around on my wife's iMac (20" Core Duo, 2gb ram, yada yada yada), and noticed that iPhoto is pretty slow when scrolling. Like, there's major lag if you're scrolling through the whole library. I use Picasa 2 on my PC and it's lightyears faster! Any comments on this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here on my iMac g5 iSight 2.1Ghz, iPhoto scroll's very fast and smooth. If I get a chance later today to visit my Mac store, I will try an Intel iMac and see how iphoto is there if they have a lot of photos installed. iPhoto 5 on my older Macs was a bit jerky when scrolling fast, but 6 here on this iMac flys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i havent used iphoto since aperture came out (which is blazing fast) but i do remember that if i had my pictures too big when scrolling there was a bit of a lag, make your thumbnails smaller and see what happens
-chris

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
coach_z said:
i havent used iphoto since aperture came out (which is blazing fast) but i do remember that if i had my pictures too big when scrolling there was a bit of a lag, make your thumbnails smaller and see what happens
-chris

That helped. It scrolls normally when the picture are tiny, but then I can't really see them too well (20" 1680x1050 LCD). Kind of disappointing considering it's fully decked-out (256mb x1600, 2 gigs of ram, etc.) and that iLife 06 is a UB. We have about 2,300 photos on it right now with lots more to come. **-hum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
kaidomac said:
That helped. It scrolls normally when the picture are tiny, but then I can't really see them too well (20" 1680x1050 LCD). Kind of disappointing considering it's fully decked-out (256mb x1600, 2 gigs of ram, etc.) and that iLife 06 is a UB. We have about 2,300 photos on it right now with lots more to come. **-hum.

best way i can think to aleviate that is to set up muiltiple albums and avoid scrolling through your library at all costs, my iphoto library has over 100 albums and 3900 pictures and actually scrolled through quite well even with the largest picture settings.

this also could be an issue that apple is working on and may be taken care of at the next update.

i would also suggest a good repair of your permissions to make sure everything regarding iphoto is set properly.

g'luck man
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.