swap external CDR with DVD burner ??

Reaction score
Hi, I have an external firewire Que! CDRW drive that I don't use anymore because my powerbook has an internal CDRW drive. I took it apart and the CD drive connects to the firewire controller via a standard IDE device and 12v power hookup.

I would like to buy a DVD burner and swap out the CD writer for the DVD burner. Just wondering before I buy the drive, would there be any problems with doing this? Here's the link to the drive on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827152039

it's a NEC Beige 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X - 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM.
Model #: ND-3520A BG

Also wondering, what software I could use to make backups of my kids DVDs? they are scratching them all up.

THANKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Sure you can do that. I've done just that for a friend of mine that was about to junk the old external drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
any ideas about software? should I spring for toast with jam? whats the difference between the different toastproducts?

I hear iLife apps don't work on external devices... is that true?

Thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
Can I use any old IDE DVD burner? most say they are only compatable with windows.
I will be putting it in a Que! Firewire enclosure. Thanks~!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.