iPhoto library fix

Reaction score
Since 80 some people read my thread, but no one responded with the answer. I assume no one knows the answer.
Here was my question.
"A month ago I got a message that iPhoto couldn't open my library. So after talking to the apple store I upgraded to Snow Leopard with the Box Set.
Now I get the message that I have a corupted or unreadable photo library and I need to reinstall it from a back up. I don't have a backup of my 100,00 images.
How can I get the computer to let me use iPhoto?
Thanks, I-wa."

Here's the answer: Hold down the option key while starting iPhoto and build a new library.

Reaction score
Did you get your photo's

Were you able to get all of your photos from your library?

C

chas_m

Glad to hear it, but really I think the reason you didn't get an answer previously was that you lost most of us when you said you had this vitally important iPhoto library with 10,000 (or was that 100,000) images that you'd never bothered to back up.

OP
I
Reaction score
I did get all my photos and I had backed up.

I have a WD tera bite external hard drive sitting here with all my back ups, but at the same time the library became unreadable the hard drive was not recognized by the computer either. So the back up was a waste of time and money.

But to your point about everybody ignoring my post because I was to stupid to back up. If people had the answer and refused to help a "stupid user" then I've lost faith in Mac users.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I have a WD tera bite external hard drive sitting here with all my back ups, but at the same time the library became unreadable the hard drive was not recognized by the computer either. So the back up was a waste of time and money.

But to your point about everybody ignoring my post because I was to stupid to back up. If people had the answer and refused to help a "stupid user" then I've lost faith in Mac users.

I don't think it was anything like that - if anything - someone would have pointed that out. More likely none of the 80 viewers knew the answer and sometimes threads do have a way of getting lost in the mix. 80 is actually a pretty low view count for this site - and I imagine that includes casual guests as they pass through.

At any rate - I'm glad you figured it out - and thanks for posting back with the solution for others to benefit from. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.