im soon to get an ibook, but what do I exactly get?

P

psy111

Im soon to order the 14-inch, 1ghz or 1.25ghz (dont know yet), 60gb, 256ram (then ordering somewhere else for another 512ram), and bluetooth/airport extreme from the educational online apple store. but to the question, software wise. I know I get os x.3 panther, but what comes in panther? My school mac lab has stuff like dreamweaver demo, tony hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari, MS office, and all these other programs. Does it include appleworks, garageband, and MS office and the other stuff? or do I have to order it seperate :confused: (anyone list all apps. that will come with my ibook?)

oh, BTW post #1!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You will get Tony Hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari and all of the other iLife programs (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iPhoto).

It will have a 30 day trial of MS Office

OP
V

vuschejan

trpnmonkey41 said:
You will get Tony Hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari and all of the other iLife programs (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iPhoto).

It will have a 30 day trial of MS Office

I didnt get a 30 day trial of MS office :confused: :confused: :confused:

OP
P

psy111

oh... so how much is microsoft office? epecially need it for school. (is it cheaper it get it on apple's online edu store, or to get it from a store? or can I buy with credit card online to get the real thing (you know, when starting a demo it usuallly says "pay the x dollers to get the full version", then get to download the full from wherever?)). But I do get appleworks, thats important for class

...when i used to be in the mac lab at school, deimos rising was fun to play during class, i got to level 3 like a bazzillion times during the boring lectures ;)

I have other questions about my ibook:
1. is the extra battery worth it, especially for school?
2. should i get bluetooth, is THAT worth it? (I have a AMD winxp computer at home, maybe I should for it to communicate with each-other)
3. is the 1.2ghz ibook faster than the 1ghz 14-inch?
4. is it cheaper to get a hard drive from somewhere else? (is there an ibook 80gb hd?)
5. anything else I should know before ordering?

OP
O

octohunter

Hey! I didn't get Tony Hawk or the Office trial either! Do some machines come with different apps? I wouldn't think so...

OP
V

vuschejan

octohunter said:
Hey! I didn't get Tony Hawk or the Office trial either! Do some machines come with different apps? I wouldn't think so...
Tony Hawk is on the ibook and I think that the office trial might be on the cd, Ill have to check though

OP
O

octohunter

I'd suggest avoiding the cost of the extra battery. Wait and see if you need it. A battery lasts longer if you regularly charge and drain it. Having a second may prevent you from doing that properly.

It's much cheaper to build your own external drive. It's also easier than you'd think. But if you are more comfortable, buy one anywhere but the apple store- it's much cheaper.

I don't feel the faster processor is worth much but when you get the faster machine you also get the airport card and a larger hard drive. That is worth the extra cost.

As far as I know Bluetooth wont work to communicate with other machines, just, just peripherals. But I'd make sure of that as the others know more about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Do all macs come with iLife?

OP
P

psy111

ok, so im not gonna get bluetooth, and if i eventually need one ill get one of those usb2.0 ones. ill get 512ram and 80gb hard drive (still nobody answered if there are 80gb notbook hd that fit the ibook), and i just went to fry's and played around with the 12" and 14" ibooks. Does the touchpad really feel skippy, or is it just the display model? the 12" seems big enough, but im gonna use a lot of garageband type stuff so im getting the 14".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Basically you can buy any 2,5" laptop drive and put it in your iBook, BUT (!) it is not classified as a user installable part, and sounds quite difficult to do.

Also by putting one in yourself, you will void your warranty.
I'd just get the 60GB model and then if you need more space, buy an external firewire / usb2.0 harddrive.

Also if you get the superdrive, you can always save stuff on dvd's...

To communicate with your PC, just use a wireless network (if your oc has wireless lan) or a normal ethernet cable to connect the two - bluetooth would be much too slow anyway for this.

The touchpad can play up on times, especially when you're getting used to it.
But after a while, mine has "settled down" and is ok now.

So don't worry about it.

12" vs. 14"?
Well you can only get superdrive in the 14", but it is quite big.
I personally went for the 12" as I want to take my ibook to university all the time and the 14" with tons of books would be too much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.