Select Programs No longer work after OS update to 10.4

Reaction score
Hi,

I have ibook G4 and now on OS X 10.4.11. Somewhere along the way of update to 10.4, a lot of my programs stopped running. To be more specific, when I click on them from the "launch bar" on the bottom, they jump as if they were starting up but then nothing happens.

Programs like itunes, safari, kodak photoshare don't work but programs like firefox and word still work.

I'm not 100% sure that the error is caused by the OS update but that is the only major thing that has changed. I can't find my original OS disk so I can reformat or reinstall.

Anyone have any suggestions to fix this issue? Let me know if there is other information I can provide to help diagnose the problem.

Thanks,
Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
What are the versions of those applications that don't work?

For example, some applications that work with Tiger will not work with Leopard. In other words, they're not forward compatible. This issue is not common, and is usually related to third-party applications and utilities, but you should make sure that the applications like those you've mentioned are updated for/compatible with Tiger.

The only other suggestion I have is to repair permissions using Onyx http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english/apps.html. Be sure to use the version applicable to your present OS.

OP
D
Reaction score
Itunes 7.2.6. Don't know about Safari cause I got deleted it since I now just use Firefox.

I tried to use the onyX utility but got the same problem. Was able to install it but not run it. It bounces once on the dock and then disappears then nothing happens.

I'm trying to download the latest itunes to see if it is a version incompatability issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nope. Same deal. Seems to be an issuing with installing programs too. Unpackaged the latest itunes version 9. It finished installing but it didn't actually work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Do you have the original install disks for your Mac? If yes, use Disk 1 to reboot. Open Disk Utilities and do a hardware check > Verify > Repair (if necessary). I think you may have some faulty drive sectors.

Incidentally, I too use Tiger, and the iTunes currently being used is v 7.6.2 (is that what you meant?). I decline any further updates - superfluous.

Deleting Safari may not have been a good idea, but we'll see what eventuates from the suggestions made so far.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay. I think that may be the best option. Unfortunately, have no idea where my original disk is. Ha. Thats why I was seeking alternative fixes.

Thanks for your help. If anybody has other suggestions, please post them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.