• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Intels??????

D

djtrixxx

I am in the market to purchase my first MAC computer but was told to wait because there will be new MAC with intel hardware released soon. First off, is this true? If it is, will this go for the Powerbooks as well? I was looking to purchase a Powerbook for my music setup but now I don't know if I should wait. I was told that the new Mac's with Intels would allow me to install PC software on a MAC? Is any of this true so I can go ahead with my purchase or should I wait? Any information will be very helpful as I am a newbie to MAC's. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The Intel Mac line may be announced as soon as next week at MacWorld in San Francisco. Availability would be known shortly thereafter. The Powerbooks are expected to be the first Apple line to go to the Intel processor, but that remains to be seen.

As far as running "PC software", you would not be able to run it through the Mac OS, but you may be able to install Windows on the machine on a separate boot partition. No one is really sure how this will work yet.

I would hold off at least another week or so and see what comes out of the show in SF.

OP
D

djtrixxx

Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to install Windows on a seperate partition. If that's the way it's going to work, I'll buy the current Powerbook. I'll wait and see what happens. Do you know of any software products to edit music. I am a DJ and I use PC software to edit and clean up my music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
baggss said:
The Intel Mac line may be announced as soon as next week at MacWorld in San Francisco. Availability would be known shortly thereafter. The Powerbooks are expected to be the first Apple line to go to the Intel processor, but that remains to be seen.

As far as running "PC software", you would not be able to run it through the Mac OS, but you may be able to install Windows on the machine on a separate boot partition. No one is really sure how this will work yet.

I would hold off at least another week or so and see what comes out of the show in SF.
It's actually the iBooks and mini's that are expected to be converted first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ya actually your right. That seems kind of odd though, since the PBs probably need the update more than the iBooks do. The mini is questionable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
djtrixxx said:
Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to install Windows on a seperate partition. If that's the way it's going to work, I'll buy the current Powerbook. I'll wait and see what happens. Do you know of any software products to edit music. I am a DJ and I use PC software to edit and clean up my music.

sure! Here are some audio editing programs:
- Garage Band for starters... it will come with your new mac, no need to purchase it.. Garage band has lots of pre-recoreded loops built in also....

-If you want pro software, you could buy Sound Track Pro from the apple Store:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...EkJZz2zWcj881cjO8IGY/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3

good luck and welcome to the forums!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.