Which O/S can I install?

Reaction score
Hello ALL!,

I am new to the forums so if I neglect any rules, please let me know. I am repairing an iMac A1208 and I was trying to install OSX (Snow Leopard), and during installation it said that the Operating System could not be installed. I'm assuming because the machine is older.

Anyway, I was wondering what the latest operating system that I could install as well as which you would recommend?? I understand that OS 9 was the original O/S that came with the machine.

Please advise :)

Thank you,

Cobra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, then I assume the reason is because I am using my own Snow Leopard disk from my macbook pro. So, you're sure Snow Leopard will work?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, then I assume the reason is because I am using my own Snow Leopard disk from my macbook pro. So, you're sure Snow Leopard will work?

Absolutely Snow Leopard will work. And yes you are correct...your MBP disks won't work. Head to the Apple Store for a $29 10.6 disc.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, sounds good. Now, how can I get this disk out of this thing!?! I'm holding EJECT and it won't eject.

I just installed a new hard drive on it so it keeps trying to install the O/S.

EDIT: NEVERMIND! I got it! Thanks guys. You've been a great help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.