Start up programmes...

Reaction score
How do I stop programmes starting up when I switch on my MBA. I've gone into system preferences but the programmes are not listed there, and they are NOT ticked to open up on the bar at the bottom of my screen (not sure of the name of it)

Its my email, and iMessages that opens up automatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
System Preferences -> Users Groups -> choose [ Login Items ]. Should be able to add or remove what you want to start or not start up there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What programs are you talking about ?
Some application use launch services and may not be visible in System Preferences/User/Login Items

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Right click the icon in the dock

Uncheck 'Open at Login'.

When you shut the machine down, make sure you uncheck the box that offers to open the apps that you currently have open the next time you log in.

OP
E
Reaction score
its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
its my email, and messages that open up. The box to open at start up is un ticked in the doc, so I'm a tad confused...

There are two possible situations here:

1. Applications that are set to open automatically when the computer is started up "cold" (not Sleeping)...via the instructions mentioned above.

2. When the computer is Restarted or Shutdown (via the Apple menu)...a user is presented with a window that says:

- "Are you sure you want to Restart your computer now?"...or..."Are you sure you want to Shutdown your computer now?". Then you click the appropriate button.

- This window also has a check box that says, "Reopen windows when logging back in?" Which (I believe) is checked by default.

With this box checked...if you restart or shutdown the computer...then everything that was open before shutting down or restarting will reopen upon startup. This box needed to be "un-checked/deselected"...if you do not want this to happen.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Never really thought about all the different ways OSX makes it easy to startup programs at startup.. Can get confusing at which one is starting your program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.