MacbookPro optibay+ssd+reinstall Lion!

Reaction score
Hello maccers, I'm new here but this seem like the best place to get some good answers, for my questions! I am danish, so my english can be bait shabby!

I bought myself a macbook pro for few months ago, this is my FIRST mac item ever, so I'm new to the whole osx system! but i love it, oh god i love it!

Anyways to the questions! This will contain a somewhat wall of text and maybe a lot of frustration, since it will be one long, big question!

First off, I'm not new at fiddling with hardware, but I'm new at fiddling with this kind of system and laptops in general, i have done a RAM upgrade, short after i got my macbook, by adding 8gb instead of the 4gb it had, went smooth and perfect, was very easy!

Now its time for the HDD upgrade and since i do not use my ccd/dvd drive, I've chosen to get myself a optibay and keep my 750gb 5400rpm hard drive for storage of music, films and low requirement programs!

Now to the deal, this is gonna be a long, seemingly endless question, i will type down step by step what i will be doing and here i would like help in the way of, what i should do differently !

First ill remove the back of my macbook, i will then disconnect the battery from the board to avoid any damage i will then take out my current hard drive, and equip the new SSD in the hard drive bay for optimal use, heard that bay is were you want to have the system hard drive for best functional use!

After that i will remove the cd/dvd drive, equip the new optibay and setup my old hdd in this bay.

then close the macbook and turn it on, i got the macbook pro 17" Late 2011 so according to what I've been told, this machine got a "hidden" recovery disc were i will have the option to install Lion on any new hdd that i would setup, even without the old hdd(main hdd).

aight, so i will now turn on the macbook pro and hold down Command+R, just like holding down "alt" when i want to start up in bootcamp, this way i should be going into the recovery interface and from here ill find and setup the new ssd, will it update firmware this way aswel, to get full potential out of the ssd?
anyways, after the ssd is found, ill make it "main" and install a fresh and clean Lion osx on it, when its done and i get into my osx ill find the old hdd and delete everything except my music and films on it, at least this is the way i would have done with windows to keep my old stuff on my current hard drive. And after that i should be done.

Now have i skipped anything here, or does this sound like its supposed to be done, and as the best way to do it??

Best regards,
Rasmus

OP
Z
Reaction score
wow allmost 200 views and not a single reply yet, not even a little "looks good to me" or anything, amazed :) at least its getting views, hopefully soon by the right ones! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give it time man. There are no paid workers here only volunteers and for the greater majority of them it is not the time to be browsing. Your plan sounds okay. Have you got Lion on a thumb drive? If you purchased via the App Store, go in and hold down Option whilst hitting Purchases, select the Lion download and click the icon and it will start downloading f.o.c. Burn to a USB Thumb Drive which will be bootable, format the SSD and away you go.

Make Mac OS X Lion Bootable USB Flash Drive - How to Guide

OP
Z
Reaction score
Give it time man. There are no paid workers here only volunteers and for the greater majority of them it is not the time to be browsing. Your plan sounds okay. Have you got Lion on a thumb drive? If you purchased via the App Store, go in and hold down Option whilst hitting Purchases, select the Lion download and click the icon and it will start downloading f.o.c. Burn to a USB Thumb Drive which will be bootable, format the SSD and away you go.

Make Mac OS X Lion Bootable USB Flash Drive - How to Guide

Allright, cool, thanks for the answer :) ill make a bootable usb version aswel then, although again, as i understand its not needed.... correct? as far as i know, there is somewhat a little flash hdd in my mac that contain a Lion installation.. ? at least thats what I've read myself into from apples page etc. just never really heard about people using it. but okay, it seems ilke a rather new thing. yes i bought mine from the apple store and received no iLife cd thanks to this build-in recovery thing :)

Reaction score
um ditch the ssd

ditch the ssd, sling it, bin it, ebay it, whatever, just get rid of it before it causes you the inevitable world of pain it is destined to give.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ditch the ssd, sling it, bin it, ebay it, whatever, just get rid of it before it causes you the inevitable world of pain it is destined to give.

You have a right to your Opinion but 1000's are using SSD's without an issue. I assure you the people here on Mac Forums who use SSD's are far from stupid people. If SSD's all died a early death we would not be using them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I think you're making a gross assumption based on very specific and limited experience.

I have no problem with you sharing that experience, but to assert that all SSDs are unreliable with the only basis for that opinion being your own personal experience, is unfair at best.

Reaction score
Ok your plan is good and correct. That is exactly what I did.
But what you can do is get both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper. They are both drive cloning software programs.
Also get yourself a SATA to USB adapter, either and Enclosure or just and Adapter.
Connect the SSD to the adapter/enclosure and boot the computer with the SSD attached and partition and format it as one partition with the format of Mac Extended (Journaled) and name whatever you like (you can even name it Macintosh HD iof you like). Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the Recovery HD partition to the SSD. CCC has a help file to explain *** to do this. Then use SuperDuper to Clone the operating system from the orignal drive to the SSD.
Then take your system apart and make the hardware changes.
When you are all done it should boot right into the OS on the SSD. But if it doesn't, for some reason, and it boots to the old drive open System Preferences and then Startup Disk and select the SSD as the startup dirve then click Restart.
You can then either re-partition/format the old drive or leave it as is.

Good Luck & Best Wishes.

Reaction score
I think you're making a gross assumption based on very specific and limited experience.

I have no problem with you sharing that experience, but to assert that all SSDs are unreliable with the only basis for that opinion being your own personal experience, is unfair at best.

This guy has been posting the same thing all over this forum. And more then likely a lot of forums.

Troll for sure.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This guy has been posting the same thing all over this forum. And more then likely a lot of forums.

Troll for sure.

Agreed. And if it continues, he'll be doing it elsewhere.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hey guys just want to let you know it Worked like a charm. i got the old hdd out and put in the ssd.

Hold down Command+R choose a Net -connection and wupti I had 4 options, 2 of them was Install lion and Disc option thingi, so i went into the disc thing, found the new ssd and made a mac partion on it. back out and clicked install lion, and it did everything, very fast a smooth, around 20mins(have very fast net) and it was back up and running.

The cheap optibay i got needed a little modifieing at one of the screw holes to fit. it states that the optibay i bought dont work for mbp 2011 models, but i got a optibay, and a 750gb storage drive in it right now, in a closed unibody. And it works perfect! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.