How to avoid viruses using torrent sites if typical mac user who has no antivirus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
if media are downloaded is there a way for us to check whether it is infected before opening it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In reply to your longgg thread title. Don't visit & download from torrent sites.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Since nearly all media on a torrent site is illegally pirated, save yourself a hefty lawyer bill and obey the law as Nick suggests. This has the side benefit of you not getting arrested, not getting any malware from torrents, and the pleasure of supporting the artists you supposedly are a fan of with some of your actual money instead of stealing from them! WIN-WIN!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...think about chas_m's words...nobody gets or is entitled to a free ride in this world.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That is assuming that one downloads illegal content from torrents.

If you're downloading anything from torrents and it's legal, you'll never know what the files are laden with since you get the file from multiple people. Stick to official torrents from developers/distributors and you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Since Applet specified media, I assumed it was commercial music, videos, etc. I must remember not to just assume stuff.

C

chas_m

While torrents can certainly be used to download legal things, let's not pretend that that's even three percent of what torrents are used for, hmmm? So I think I'm on pretty safe ground with the advice I gave ... and if I'm wrong, the OP can just ignore it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.