Custom Setting of 1440x900 for Retina on Windows 7

Reaction score
I was wondering the best setting for using Windows 7 on my Retina screen with the intention of gaming. I was thinking that 1440 x 900 would be the best resolution but no native setting for this exists. NVIDA does allow custom resolution but gives a big warning about it destroying your screen - so I thought I would ask before I create one. If I create a custom resolution of 1440x900 and leave all other settings as default, will this be ok for the retina screen?

Also, am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I set it to a different already support resolution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Why not match the resolution to that of the Retina display?

OP
O
Reaction score
Because the text is tiny even at 150% DPI and the graphics card can't handle modern FPS games at full resolution.

My thinking was that at exactly half the resolution of the retina (4 retina pixels for every on screen pixel) there would be no introduced fuzziness.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not going to happen. Your retina machine will look and work best at its native resolution, and - you need to take into account that Windows and Windows games are not optimized for the retina display. As a matter of fact it's going to be awhile before games for OS X are optimized for the retina.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm aware the retina screen wont look as crisp at other resolutions but that isn't the point! The point is to be able to play modern FPS games at a reasonable resolution but at a fast enough speed.

I was wondering if there was a sweet spot, like exactly half the native resolution (hence the 1440x900) which will map 4 retina pixels to 1 on screen pixels. Depending on how the computer handles this, it could look just fine. Unfortunately there is a big warning when I try and create this custom resolution (because it isn't a default option) about how it could destroy my screen. So, the first question I would like answered is, will creating a custom resolution of 1440x900 destroy my screen? (Assuming all other settings are left default).

The second question is, are there better defualt resolutions for gaming? That is all I'm looking to use it for.

The option: leave it at full resolution doesn't exist. I need to lower the resolution so that I can play FPS games. I could just put it at any old low resolution but I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest you try the already available resolutions downgrading and experimenting with one at a time until you get to the point where you are satisfied with the frame rate / game play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.