Camino

Reaction score
I'm new to the Forum. I wanted to get some advice about using Camino verses other browsers such as Google Chrome?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Use whatever you're comfortable with. All browsers are modern and well supported. As for Chrome, some say it tracks your browsing habits for advertising reasons but there is no proof of this.

Reaction score
Camino is my preferred browser, but I do need to use Safari for a couple of websites for compatibility where some text disappears, or some text boxes are extremely small.

Reaction score
I dislike Camino and other lesser known browsers because they do not have a huge pool of add-ons that can significantly augment your browsing pleasure, unlike Chrome or Firefox.

Your best bet is to try all browsers for a certain period of time. The only one who can choose the best browser is yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
I suggest sticking with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera. Those are the 4 big guys, and seem to have the best features. Preference really though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
Maybe my Macbook is just getting old, but Chrome, FF, and Safari tear through my memory. I always have multiple windows and tons of tabs running, and it's just a matter of time before things start to slow down.

You lose a lot of the flexibility with Camino, but it handles things very nicely. I love using it for normal, day-to-day browsing and rarely encounter any compliance issues. That's just my experience.

Reaction score
From what I've heard Chrome uses a different process for every tab, which means that it doesn't get bloated during extensive browsing sessions. If one page causes trouble, it doesn't bring everything down.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From what I've heard Chrome uses a different process for every tab, which means that it doesn't get bloated during extensive browsing sessions. If one page causes trouble, it doesn't bring everything down.
Quite the opposite in my experience. Let me give you an example. Right now, I have the same set of tabs open in Safari. It is using 248.4MB of RAM. Right now, Chrome itself is only using 80.8MB but has spawned 8 processes which mean that Chrome is responsible for using 455.7MB. So if bloat is a concern, Chrome is probably not your best bet in terms of memory usage. In terms of how it performs though, I find the application quite responsive (I assume that this is partly because the app itself is only using 80.8MB).

One thing I learned today that is worth noting is that if a tab is opened from a current tab (say you click a link that opens a new tab), it runs in the same process as the original. It's only when you create the tab yourself that it runs in a separate process (more here if you're interested).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, Agreed except for one thing. Watch Safari in say 24 hours. I keep this system on a few pages open all the time. Over time Safari's memory usage climbs to sometimes 1GB in 1-2 days. Chrome does not seem to and stays more consistent even if you have a few tabs open.

The one thing I do like about Chrome and the Tabs all as separate process's, if one Tab locks, you only loose that and not the rest.

On the main topic of this thread, Camino, I used to use it a lot but it's really getting dated and not updated to the latest engines out there. It's a bit behind the times now.

I use Safari most of the time followed by Chrome and FF4 and the latest Opera!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, Agreed except for one thing. Watch Safari in say 24 hours. I keep this system on a few pages open all the time. Over time Safari's memory usage climbs to sometimes 1GB in 1-2 days. Chrome does not seem to and stays more consistent even if you have a few tabs open.
Yeah, memory sure does creep up quite a bit. I'll have to do an experiment when I get some free time (actually, I guess I can have these open while I do work). I'll compare it to Firefox 5 (while it only goes final next week, the final build is up now) and see how they are after a bit.

Reaction score
Quite the opposite in my experience. Let me give you an example. Right now, I have the same set of tabs open in Safari. It is using 248.4MB of RAM. Right now, Chrome itself is only using 80.8MB but has spawned 8 processes which mean that Chrome is responsible for using 455.7MB. So if bloat is a concern, Chrome is probably not your best bet in terms of memory usage. In terms of how it performs though, I find the application quite responsive (I assume that this is partly because the app itself is only using 80.8MB).

One thing I learned today that is worth noting is that if a tab is opened from a current tab (say you click a link that opens a new tab), it runs in the same process as the original. It's only when you create the tab yourself that it runs in a separate process (more here if you're interested).

Great read thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.