Snow Leopard Verdict

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I always make it a point not to upgrade to a new OS until a year or so has passed after its release. This helps me avoid the pains and the bugs that come with a new OS.
Not to say that snow Leopard is full of bugs, but every new OS has issues the first few months of release.

Now my big question before I upgrade is, does Mac OS 10.6 support Xcode, applescript and Odjective-C 2.0?
Or will the developer support be added on later updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I haven't had any problems. You'll need the latest version of xcode, but other than that....

upgrade whenever. It's not a deal-breaker either way right now..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simple rule of thumb for me: make a really good backup first and ensure that if you have any applications that absolutely have to work that they do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
i pretty much just dive into things and then scream when they all go **** up!!!

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I've seen soem videos on youtube that highlight some features and its pretty neat. But those features cater mostly to ease of use and while they're great and they work so well, they're not the reasons I'd use to upgrade.

The one major thing I like is the footprint. The fact that they managed to cram so much more into an OS that takes 7GBs less than the previous version, really makes me want to switch.

However, I'm gonna stick with Leopard for now. At least for 6 months or so.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Some minor issues here. I still think Apple needs to shake some bugs loose before I'd recommend it to someone who needs a rock solid system.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every new OS has bugs. Its sure to happen. Whether those are major or minor issues, that depends on the problems.
AFAIK Apple goes through great lengths to make sure that the OS is ready from day 1. But it cannot be said that no one will have issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Wait a bit I say - it is a little buggy and there's not a huge difference in the OS anyway. Causing me a bit of frustration at the moment, so I'm glad I only paid $14.95 for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I'm with you. I just don't scream when things go awry. I find ways around them or simply learn to adjust and embrace the new experience.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

I'm with you. I just don't scream when things go awry. I find ways around them or simply learn to adjust and embrace the new experience.

Typically what I do also. For years I've been use to upgrading my OS, apps and drivers as soon as the new one comes out. so I always expect something to go wrong and am delightfully surprised when it doesn't.

When it does, time to see if I can fix it or come up with a work around. Don't believe I've ever gone back to a previous version or downgraded my personal machine. I will hold off on recommendation for others though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I for one am steering clear until Line 6 gets off their lazy rear ends and gets a kext for the KB37 that doesn't crash Snow Leopard. Until then, I will stick with ole reliable! I did get to play with a 15" Unibody MBP with Snow Leopard, all the new subtle changes are great, and Safari runs very well in 64-bit, but I didn't see anything immediately pressing that gave me that "MUST HAVE" feeling. 10.6.4 will probably be a good time for me to take the plunge. If you are a working audio professional or a hobbist that can't stand downtime, don't do it, most audio companies are scrambling to get caught up (as if there wasn't a full year to get beta versions, sigh)

Reaction score
I always make a clone of my system before I do any major update or upgrade - then I can easily restore my machine to its previous state if something about the upgrade didn't work. This practice has served me well with the Snow Leopard upgrade, as I had to do it twice on my machine.

The first SL upgrade went without a problem - the improved results were as advertised. A few hours later, I updated an application and found that it didn't work in SL. I learned from an user's message board that updated application does work in SL, AS LONG AS it is updated in Leopard. In other words, the installer did not work properly in SL.

So I erased my SL installation and recloned my system with my last 10.5.8 install. Then I updated the problem application - it worked fine in 10.5.8. Then I did a second upgrade to SL. Again, SL continues to perform as advertised and my application is now fully operational in SL.

Conclusion - I'm not afraid to upgrade when a new OSX version is released. If it works - GREAT. If it doesn't, I can easily (within 90 minutes) restore my previous install.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installation

When you purchase Snow Leopard, can you install it on an Intel mac with a brand new HDD?
Or do I first have to install Leopard and then install Snow Leopard??

The reason I ask is because I've only seen people mention about upgrading existing installations.

Reaction score
It's not perfect, but the first update fixed a lot of bugs. And things are in new places. Why Apple does this is beyond me, but they do. :Not-Amused:

I freaked out when I installed it for the first time because I couldn't see my internal hard drive (which has three partitions.)

By default the show hard drives on desktop option is unchecked. You can't imagine my relief.

I think someone at Apple was being a weisenheimer. :Not-Amused:

Edit: My biggest gripe is that the pause/play button on the remote STILL launches iTunes. It's a pain when watching a movie in VLC.

Reaction score
When you purchase Snow Leopard, can you install it on an Intel mac with a brand new HDD?
You can do a clean install without Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

The reason I ask is because I've only seen people mention about upgrading existing installations.

You can do a full install on a clean drive.

OP
knightjp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know.
I see that more and more people are voting to upgrade. I'm guessing while there are bugs to be fixed, the majority of usage is pretty much simple and easy.
Since I'm moving into learning programming in Obj-C 2.0, I need to know if I upgrade now, whether I'll be able to continue with the learning process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.