mac wont boot

Reaction score
Frustrated and typing on a cell phone so bare with me.

Osx 10.4.something

Disc drive hasnt been functional for a couple years.

Cant get an osx disc anyways, i tried when my iphone wouldnt sync to itunes because i didnt have itunes ten and its not available.

I was making music in garageband. A track recorded on a usb mic messed everything up. It glitched out at a certain part repeatedly.

I manually restarted with the power button, wouldnt boot. Got stuck on the apple icon with the loading ring.

I let it sit after a few attempts and hours later it went to a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner.

I rebooted and it all worked again with no files lost.

I went back into garageband and loaded the file id been working on, same stuff happened, except i waited for the freezing to stop and deleted the track this time. I received an error 36 at the time, i forget the description of the error.

My mac froze up minutes later while browsing on firefox. I restarted and got the folder with a question mark. None of the boot commands work except the pram reset which i have no idea *** it does. When i hold option an arrow pops up but nothing else.

Any suggestions? Let me know if u need more info.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
From your description...sounds like a dead hard drive. Is there anything on the HD that you need?...if so, this is why we do backups (hopefully you have one).

If there isn't anything on the HD that you need...you can get OS install disks on e-Bay. And you will probably need an HD as well.

It would probably also help to know what sort of Mac we're dealing with (be specific).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Its a macbook. If my hard drive is in fact dead i will post the video of me placing it into a garbage bag, beating it with a baseball bat, urinating on the debris and if im able to find some flammable liquid and an isolated area ill also set it on fire.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or is it toast?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its a macbook.

Any troubleshooting suggestions or is it toast?

Thanks for the MacBook info...that helps "visualize" what we're dealing with.

To troubleshoot...you REALLY need an OS disk to boot from. Since you have a MacBook...you can use a Snow Leopard (OS 10.6 disk) to boot from. And unlike what you mentioned above...Snow Leopard install disks can still be purchased from the Apple online store:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Unfortunately...you mentioned that the disk drive is not working...so it's going to be tough to boot from an OS disk.

Since your CD/DVD drive is busted, and it appears that your HD may be busted...we REALLY cannot do much at this point.:(

- Nick

p.s. You would need an external CD/DVD drive & an OS disk to boot from...or you would need an eternal HD with a compatible OS on it to boot the computer at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.