problem ripping cds to iTunes

Reaction score
This happpens on random cds. I put the cd into iTunes and the disc spins up and then slows down, and the read speeds go way down.

Then after I start listening to the cd's on my 80 gig iPod, the sound goes out like audio drop outs. Then it comes back and then it leaves again.

Maybe I need a new cd burner or maybe I just need to clean the lens?
Any body else have this problem?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
sounds like either dirty scratched CDs or a faulty drive

I would try cleaning disks and lens first

OP
B
Reaction score
The cd's are literally brand new not a scratch on em.

The drive is old I'm trying to decide whether to get a new one or just clean the lens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Perhaps try using a different program to rip your CDs. Look for a freeware program called "MAX," which is, in essence, an OSX equivalent to a Wintel program called "Exact Audio Copy," which rips CDs with intense error checking mechanisms that most rippers don't have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, be aware that some commercial CDs do have different forms of copy protection designed to thwart playing/ripping on computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.