mac wont start up and makes odd noises...

Reaction score
Well i have had my macbook for about 6 months and I recently installed all the updates that come up in the I guess update wizard... I left to work while it was doing so. I returned home to it turned off, and I tried turning it on and the screen flashes then goes black then starts making some odd noise from the right side of the laptop sounds like a drive trying to read something but it only lasts for like half a second and then repeats that sound... I cant get it to turn on!!! any ideas?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try booting your system with the install/recovery media, that came with your system. Insert your media and hold down the c key. Once it boots, loacte the disk utilty application in one of the drop down menu. You are going to use that application to see if you system disk is still able to you. You have lost your system disk. If you see your system disk in the choices along with your media under the disk utility. Then you show me okay, check back with your results. Hopefully, some will come back with some more details for you.

OP
Z
Reaction score
i tried to put in the disc and it took it but it keeps making that sound its coming from the middle of my macbook...It wont start however like i said the screen flashes for a instant then goes black and that weird sounds starts to happen it keeps doing it over and over again... could it have been that update? It was for the Mac OS but it only makes sense that the problem came from that cause thats what i download and it said it would restart after that and when i got home it was off I tried starting it and that sound would come up.. it sounds like the disc drive or hard drive is trying to activate continuously but it doesnt....any ideas?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It to me sounds like the Hard Drive bit the dust. Only thing is the Hard Drive is in front next to the Battery compartment. You sure the sound is coming from the middle? Put your ear by where the Hard Drive is and see. Is the noise Click, Click, Click? If not and it's really in the middle, might be the cooling fan.

Here is a video showing where the Hard Drive is located.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe the hard disk may have gone south also. That is why we are trying to use the disk utility application on the install media to see if we can see the disk. Since your system is less than a year old, you are still under the warranty period. If there is a APPLe store near you, take it in and has them diagnose the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Is it a clicking type sound? Because...well, if you got a clicker then you're gonna need a new drive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
the sound is coming from the start button area... im for sure about that i put my ear right up next to it.. So I guess i shold just take it to the apple store? Its not a clicking its like a repetative well just weird sound i cant describe it with anything ive ever heard.. exept maybe a disc drive trying to start running...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
My MBP fried the logic board or similar when only 6 hours old. Happened during the firmware update and when it went into restart mode kept kaing noises like it was trying to load/read a cd. Took it back to Apple and they gave me another new MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.