Mac App Store Open, 10.6.6 Released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Just got an email from Apple. Mac App Store is open. 10.6.6 is released. Sounds like you have to have 10.6.6 installed for it to work. Downloading now via Software Update...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Just got an email from Apple. Mac App Store is open. 10.6.6 is released. Sounds like you have to have 10.6.6 installed for it to work. Downloading now via Software Update...

It would appear you have to pay for apps you already have yet again.

Thats what I was told by Applecare so its a bit ripoff in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It would appear you have to pay for apps you already have yet again.

Thats what I was told by Applecare so its a bit ripoff in my opinion.

Why would you buy an app you already have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
My pet peeve is the lack of a wish list. I use the wish list extensively in iTunes and the App Store to remember the cool stuff I find but don't have the money to try right then. :(

Why would you buy apps you already have? You have the disks if you already bought it, right?

ETA: Are you talking about buying apps in the Mac App Store that you have for your iOS device? Why wouldn't you have to rebuy it for a different platform?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Why would you buy an app you already have?

Because Iphone/Ipad apps you have already bought are not included as part of the Mac App Store.

ETA: Are you talking about buying apps in the Mac App Store that you have for your iOS device? Why wouldn't you have to rebuy it for a different platform?

I dont have to buy an app I have on my Iphone on my Ipad.

I can do if I want an HD version but also have the option to run the Iphone version on the Ipad, but with the screen maximized.

Mac App Store doesn't have that option and if I want the App on my Mac I have to rebuy it regardless of whether I have it on my Iphone or Ipad.

If I am wrong on this someone please tell me as it would be good news as I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are right that you would have to buy it for your Mac. But iPhone and iPad both run on iOS, and this is for your Mac in OS X. It makes sense to have to pay for the work the developer did bringing it to OS X.

I wonder if apps from the Mac App Store are locked to only one computer or if you can share with your family computers like iTunes. I am guessing not. Maybe time to go search through the store for the answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooohhh....this is nice. :) Well, when we get another Mac...

Click the Purchases button in the toolbar.

For any application in the list, you can:

Pause, resume, or cancel a download.

Download and install an update to an installed application.

Download and install an App Store application purchased on another Mac using the Apple ID currently signed in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.
It's not the same piece of software. It's a different version that supports a different OS and different hardware and had to be developed and tested separately, possibly by different programmers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
On a slightly different note: Is there anything else about the software update worth noting, or is it all about the App store compatibility? I mean, there's the usual story of
"The Mac OS X 10.6.6 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac

But I have a feeling that it's simply protocol which forces them to include this in each update, and not so much that it's true.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
On a slightly different note: Is there anything else about the software update worth noting, or is it all about the App store compatibility? I mean, there's the usual story of

But I have a feeling that it's simply protocol which forces them to include this in each update, and not so much that it's true.

Doug

Nothing other than in Finder, the Application Folder icon is slightly different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Downloading the new update right now.

Reaction score
Well, I'm just a little miffed that Steve-o-reno is forcing its prospective customers to upgrade to snow leopard in order to access the mac app store. Yes, $29 is a cheap price for the OS, but I don't ever recall them mentioning this requirement at any point before the grand opening. App store apps should have at least included all leopards, not just the snow ones. Pretty c.s. if you ask me. Just putting another wad of money in the Apple coffers. Aren't they rich enough yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I grabbed a couple mAcPPs. One lets me design folders which will really help distinguish them from each other, I got a police scanner which I love having on in the background for no good reason, and one that turns my desktop wallpaper into a quicktime movie.

I could really use a thread or a website that tracked down the most useful apps out there and why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
Reaction score
Because Iphone/Ipad apps you have already bought are not included as part of the Mac App Store.

I dont have to buy an app I have on my Iphone on my Ipad.

I can do if I want an HD version but also have the option to run the Iphone version on the Ipad, but with the screen maximized.

Mac App Store doesn't have that option and if I want the App on my Mac I have to rebuy it regardless of whether I have it on my Iphone or Ipad.

If I am wrong on this someone please tell me as it would be good news as I am not paying to get the same piece of software for the third time.

totally agree that you have to pay multiple times for the same app just because you want to use it on a different bit of hardware, but then this is the apple tax we have to pay to be one of the cool kids in the class. Apple do not endear me in any way, shape or form as a company that has any intention but to over charge,over charge,over charge each and every opportunity they get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Lion, 3.06GHz Core i3, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD

I would say that if you didn't have the app on your Mac before, you probably don't need to get it now just because it's available in the App Store. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, I'm just a little miffed that Steve-o-reno is forcing its prospective customers to upgrade to snow leopard in order to access the mac app store. Yes, $29 is a cheap price for the OS, but I don't ever recall them mentioning this requirement at any point before the grand opening. App store apps should have at least included all leopards, not just the snow ones. Pretty c.s. if you ask me. Just putting another wad of money in the Apple coffers. Aren't they rich enough yet?

Everything is forward moving. Leopard can't "keep up" with the Mac App Store. Just like only Intel Macs could install SL. It's called progression.

totally agree that you have to pay multiple times for the same app just because you want to use it on a different bit of hardware, but then this is the apple tax we have to pay to be one of the cool kids in the class. Apple do not endear me in any way, shape or form as a company that has any intention but to over charge,over charge,over charge each and every opportunity they get.

If you purchase an app on an Android Phone and then want to use the same one on Cr-48 Chrome laptop, the wouldn't be compatible either. You'd have to get a computer specific app. You're talking 2 completely different types of apps here. Of course iOS apps won't work on Mac OSX!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

Are you saying that having bought a new set of tyres for your motorbike that you shouldn't have to pay again when you want new tyres for your car?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.