What can I do with this iPhone?

Reaction score
Someone got me a beat up iPhone as an early Christmas gift. He said it was jailbroken.

I already have AT&T so I put in my SIM card but it said no service. Then, to my horror, realized the SIM card was stuck and spent a frantic hour nudging it out.

I tried connecting the phone to my laptop so I could put some music on it (I have iTunes) but iTunes doesn't seem to recognize it the way it recognizes my iPod.

I really don't know much about iPhones, but if anything, I'd like to use this phone as an iPod, and ideally for wi-fi. Can anyone give me advice? Where do I start?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the iPhone power up and does the LCD function? Can you do things with it? Go to Settings->General->About and see what it says for Version, Model..and other things.

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah, it works. The LCD is a little dead at the very top but still totally usable.

Version 3.1
Carrier AT&T 5.0
Model FA712LL

I think the person who gave it to me named it, at the top it says "nicks 2g 8g iPhone"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The AT&T SIM card should go right in. When I got my 3G I put in my pay as you go SIM and it dropped right in and worked.

OP
P
Reaction score
It did go in, but it said no service once it was in, and worse, I had a really hard time getting the sim card out. The tray gets stuck, the release mechanism is broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sell it on eBay and use the Money to buy an 8gig touch. Done and done.

OP
P
Reaction score
I just used wi-fi on it, so that's useful. Still, if anyone could help me figure out how to get my laptop (windows 7) to connect with it so I can put music on there, that would be awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.