Can I run 16GB RAM on my 2011 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro - 2.2ghz I7 Quad Core. It's an early 2011 model.

It currently has 4GB of RAM pre-installed and last week I took it to my local Apple re-seller (Next Byte) to upgrade it to 8GB RAM (which I thought was the maximum).

I was told that I can actually upgrade to 16GB RAM (x2 8GB's). They said Apple dont actually advertise the fact it can run at this spec.

Obviously if this is the case then for the extra few dollars it seems like a 'no brainer' to do this. Is there anything that I need to consider before I go ahead an do this.

Why doesn't Apple advertise the fact you can actually run your MBP on 16GB RAM, will it cause any problems or damage anything?.

Thanks

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes - you can. I do in mine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why doesn't Apple advertise the fact you can actually run your MBP on 16GB RAM, will it cause any problems or damage anything?.

Thanks

Yes you can. It's not about "Apple Advertising this detail"…it's about what Apple officially supports.

This doesn't mean that other folks (3rd party vendors & individual users) don't "experiment" to see if particular computer models can utilize more ram than Apple officially supports. So from time to time…some Apple computer models can support more ram than Apple supports…and this also means that some computers cannot use more ram than Apple officially supports.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
mockney
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro '15' i7 Quad Core, iPhone 5, iPod (U2), time capsule (2tb), apple tv.
Thanks for the advice guys, I will go ahead and upgrade then, I presume I will see a huge performance difference going from 4 up to 16GB in one hit :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thanks for the advice guys, I will go ahead and upgrade then, I presume I will see a huge performance difference going from 4 up to 16GB in one hit :).

The honest answer is, it depends.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Mike's right - but I do believe it's a safe bet that you'll see a performance improvement - since you only have 4GB. If you had 8GB - then it really would depend on how you use your computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Not necessarily. It really depends on how you use your computer.

- If you only had 1 or 2 gigs of ram…and upgraded to 4gig…you would certainly see a difference.
- Going from 4 gig to 8gig…you may see some improvement.
- Finally going from 8gig to 16gig…I don't think the average user would see a big difference.

More ram simply means that more applications can be opened at the same time…without any single application being "starved" for ram.

I not saying going from 4gig to 16gig you won't notice some extra "snappiness"…but it's not going to be like going from Warp 1 to Warp 9!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" HDAG Late 2011, quad core i7 2.5, 256ssd/750hdd 16gb memory|IPhone 5 32gb|iPad 3 64G
I bought my mbp with 16gb in and it flies. Dunno if its faster than with 8gb... Don't care tbh. Wanted 16gb to run vm's in. Works as intended. :)

If you are upgrading memory, worth putting in more than you need - then there will never ever be an issue. Nothing worse than wishing you had put 16gb in it 6 months down the line.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm still using 4GB >_>" Although I did add two SSDs on my MBP. Very snappy now. I might add more RAM cause I have been doing a lot of Photo editing lately.

OP
mockney
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea. I doubt that I actually need 16GB 8 would I am sure do the trick quite nicely, my MBP is not used for work it's more my leisure tool... but then I do enjoy photo and video editing plus I often have multiple programs running so sometimes I do get the beach ball spinning round for a while.

As I said for the extra few dollars I may as well go all out and have 16GB, its nice just being able to say my MBP is running at 16 :). Size matters you know!.

It gets upgraded tomorrow!.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.