Prevent mouse from resuming from standby?

Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent the mouse from waking the computer out of standby?

I close the lid at night to put it into standby, but I don't want a roommate, for instance, to wake up the computer by nudging the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
The touchpad or an external mouse. If external which type? There is an option under bluetooth (from keyboard and mouse in preferences) to allow or disallow bluetooth devices bring the computer out of standby.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you don't have an external monitor attached, a USB mouse is not going to bring your MBP out of sleep when the lid is closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:

Turn off mouse.

Disconnect from power.

Close lid.

Macbook goes to sleep. Wake is reverse of sleep. In the case of USB external mouse, I'd disconnect it prior to closing lid.

Reaction score
I'd love to know if this is possible, too (with a USB mouse)

My cats come and sleep on my desk sometimes, they are always waking up my MBP, I've trained them to not stand on the keyboard with a lot of success - Training them to not move their tail or paws when they've spread out to take up what feels like 10 square meters isn't going to happen any time soon :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With a bluetooth mouse, there is no need to go through all of that.
If you don't want it to wake your system, go into the Advanced menu under Bluetooth in System Preferences and take the check mark out of "Allow bluetooth devices to wake my computer"

If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is. None of the 5 USB mice I have will wake either my MBP nor my MB from sleep with the lid closed. From the Logitech Revolution down to a $5 mini I have for backup. They all will wake them from sleep with the lid open.

OP
T
Reaction score
If your USB mouse will wake the MBP when the lid is closed, am kinda curious to know what mouse it is.

It's a Logitech VX450. The receiver is plugged directly into a MBP USB port (i.e. not through a USB hub).

My bluetooth wireless Mighty Mouse will bring my Macbook out of sleep if I don't turn it off before I close the lid. So I have a kind of checklist:

I try to remember to turn off the mouse, then close the lid, but sometimes I forgot until I've closed the lid (at which point lifting the mouse off the desk to turn it off... un-wakes the computer. :) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.