Upgrading Operating System

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.2.8 & 2GB iPodnano
I am currently running 10.2.8 on an Emac I bought in 2003. I was given an iPod for Christmas but the iPod requires iTunes7 and I only have iTunes6 because iTunes7 will only run on 10.3.9.
I was going to buy Leopard in the Spring but if I want to use my iPod before this, I figure I need to purchase Tiger. Few questions:
1. Is it correct that if I don't buy Tiger, I can upgrade from 10.2.8 up to Leopard without problems?
2. Do we know a release date for Leopard?
3. What will happen to my Adobe programs? Should all my older verisons (Indesign 2.0, Illustrator 10, Photochop CS, Dreamweaver MX 2004, etc) still work okay with a newer operating system especially considering that these programs have been "borrowed" from friends? or will I need to aquire more up-to-date design programs?
4. Will an upgrade effect any of my current files or does an upgrade just basically wipe your computer clean? I run a backup to my boyfriend's server so I do have other copies of current work but still things to worry about!

I'm sure I will have more questions but those are my main concerns right now. On a student budget, I can't run out and buy an upgrade to every piece of software that's released... Trying to figure out the best yet cheapest way to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
1. Is it correct that if I don't buy Tiger, I can upgrade from 10.2.8 up to Leopard without problems?
Yes, that is correct.
2. Do we know a release date for Leopard?
Apple has stated "first half of 2007". They might announce a release date at Macworld.
3. What will happen to my Adobe programs? Should all my older verisons (Indesign 2.0, Illustrator 10, Photochop CS, Dreamweaver MX 2004, etc) still work okay with a newer operating system especially considering that these programs have been "borrowed" from friends? or will I need to aquire more up-to-date design programs?
All previous programs should work. Bear in mind that we don't like piracy here so we won't help you with stolen software.
4. Will an upgrade effect any of my current files or does an upgrade just basically wipe your computer clean? I run a backup to my boyfriend's server so I do have other copies of current work but still things to worry about!
You can do several different install methods. Some will wipe your drive and start clean, others will only upgrade the OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.