Graphics question on imac i7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 27" (LOVE IT)
So i just got home with my brand new imac and i have a few questions. First is there graphic card updates I can get from somewhere? I'm surprised that i cant max out starcraft 2 with this 5750... in 1440 rez of course. second, how do i get the face recognition to work in iphoto, i named the faces on about 3 photos for 10 different people but it will not find any matches.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no iMac i7. Regardless, the graphic processor (GPU) is not upgradeable as far as I know. Someone else will have to answer your question regarding face recognition in iPhoto.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is an iMac i7 indeed..if you got the brand new one that's a very nice machine..I've got the 2.8 GHz i7 from late last year.

But as @chscag said, there is no upgrade of the video card or anything else on the iMac. You can upgrade the RAM since that's easily accessible. If you are adventurous, you can upgrade the HD. But the rest of it is what it is..

Regards

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 27" (LOVE IT)
You know, I really hate when someone with 10k posts wants to come in and ramble off something and yet have no idea nor take the time to figure out what they are talking about... Yes, there is an i7. How would I a 15 year PC builder who rarely used a mac know more about your own intrest when you have obviously more experience with a mac as can be seen by your 10k posts... here is the link so that you can catch up on your knowledge of mac's... you remind me of the apple rep that tried telling me the imac i3 is quad core, and the i5 is hexa core, and i7 is octa core.... when he was throughly confused by hyper threading and turbo boosting.... anyways, I know I will not be able to fit a GTX 480 in this imac... duh! i'm not asking to upgrade the card, I'm looking for a new driver, or control center download.

Apple - iMac - Fast graphics and processor performance.

allthough you may know the OS of mac better than I do, you clearly cant hold a candle to the knowledge of "computers and the way they work" to the average user.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 27" (LOVE IT)
So you know this is not some mysterious unicorn... proof I bought it. 2.93 QC means quad core, and obviously this is not the i5.

imaci7obviously.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Apple occasionally releases a driver update for the video card when they do a system update, but other than that, I am not aware of any other way to upgrade the video driver in OS X.

I have not found the face recognition in iPhoto or Aperture to be all that. I had to go through every one of my photos and assign the names before either of the programs would even come close to matching the faces, and even then, it is wrong the majority of the time, or doesn't have a clue and I have to add the name manually. Your mileage, however may vary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@tpavur

Mea Culpa, and check your private mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
Apple has implemented updated graphics drivers for the newer iMac models, and released a graphics update for all other of their most recent computers, so graphics performance should go up majorly. Regardless, the graphics performance still isn't as good on the osx side than the windows side. If you wanna max starcraft2 out, I recommend gaming under windows. When overclocking the mobility 4850 in my iMac by 20%-- to bring it to desktop 4850 standards, I can max out starcraft2 at native resolution on windows (averaging around 50fps for 1-4player battles and 30fps for in-between mission scenes on campaign). Your iMac has a mobility 5850 card, which is around the same performance as a desktop 4850, so you should be able to max out sc2 at native resolution on windows side (you can also overclock it to bring it up to mobility 5870 standards extremely easily)

Also, another thing you can do that's extremely efficient is to have everything maxed and native resolution on starcraft2, spare shaders to high instead of ultra. Everything outside of between mission scenes will look the exact same, and you'll see up to a 10fps performance increase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.