Macbook Pro Problem!!

Reaction score
Problem:

I noticed once I used my friend's MB pro that mine makes an odd noise, all the time. Imagine a fan with a small brush attatched to one of the blades and that little brush keeps hitting something as it goes around. That's what it sounds like, very faint, but very clear. The noise stops when the computer goes to sleep and doesn't get louder with heavy use. Any ideas? (I have applecare, so sending it back is fair game, though im not sure i can afford to be without it for a week..2 weeks, whatever it is.)

Reaction score
You've got to weigh up the situation...this noise might lead to something bigger or it might not....should you take it to the Apple Store and recreate the noise for them to advise you about it....can you bear to be without it for up to 2 wks...can you affort to take that risk...

It seems to me if you are near the Apple Store then it's worth it for them to hear the noise and tell you either it's nothing, or it needs further investigation...

I have a desktop mac and it's only 10mths old and I've taken it in 3 times now, you have to ensure you nip anything in the bud when you have spent the amount of money needed to buy a desktop/Macbook etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
J.LaFrance said:
(I have applecare, so sending it back is fair game, though im not sure i can afford to be without it for a week..2 weeks, whatever it is.)

It only takes 5-7 business days for the average problem.

Reaction score
Some kid in one of Apples sweatshops in china probably dropped one of his toe nail clippings in it on his lunch break and it's hitting against the cooling fan.

Have you tried turning it upside down or on it's side ? does it still make the noise ?

This could determine weather it's something loose in the machine (like a toe nail clipping, dread the thought). Not that this will solve the problem, best to take it back whilst you still can. I'm sure that whoever is responsible will be treated kindly. :p

T

todd51

Sounds like it could be the whole processor thing again. I have diagnosed my MBP with it also. Is the sound only heard when it is plugged into the AC adapter? If so it has something to do with the electrical current going through the processor. Shouldn't cause any harm and mine doesn't seem to be getting louder so I'm not going to worry about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.