Noob breaking his computer...HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup
I bought my mac pro about 4 months ago and I love it. I love it so much that I'm about to start studying for my desktop certification....Anyways, I was taking my mac apart one day and when I wend to slide the video card out of PCI slot one, that crummy, cheap little plastic lever, for lack of a better word, broke off...I was almost in tears, this computer is my baby....

So, do I need a new logic board? Everything is working tip top, although I think I'm overdoing it a bit with the add ons...I'm going to be getting a second video card sood and I don't know if that's going to be a problem. Where do you get OEM mac hardware? Someone tell me its okay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oops...

oops.jpg

Reaction score
Mine also broke off. You have nothing to worry about. If it's working fine, why would you need a new logic board? The retention clip is more for shipping or extremely flimsy computers that flex and bend. That is not a concern in the Mac Pro, and even with shipping I doubt there would be a prolem. The retention clip is pretty cheap, and there are MUCH better PCI-E x16 slots that utilize a better retention mechanism.

OP
Dr.Gonzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2 Dual-Core Xeon 2.66GHz processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB internal storage, 500GB external backup
Nice man, thanks for the reassurance because I most definitely cannot afford to replace the board!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.