• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video file converter help

Reaction score
I've searched the Internet and forums but really haven't found any (great) answers to my converter search.

I have .mts files (stored) on an external hard drive that need to be converted so I can work with them in Final Cut Express. I tried Handbreak with mixed results. I have no issues purchasing a converter but all the converters I find on the net seem to be made by the same company. Most of them seemed to be renamed or the GUI modified slightly.

I'm looking at Wondershare right now but I am curious what kind of converters other user's use and why. I know most everyone knows of one but I'm looking for comments from user's that use them.

I have another question that involves FCE but I will post a new topic.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Handbrake is really the best option, as you have found, the majority of these converters are one and the same, and very poor.
What format did you convert to in Handbrake? You can can perfect copies with the right settings.

OP
Pill
Reaction score
I guess my problem with HandBrake is that I don't have the right settings.

I recorded my video using the following:

JVC HM1su (Recording/Playback format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
Record mode: XP 17 MBPS

I removed the files to my PC and stored them on an external harddrive. From there I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the clips. On my Laptop (older version of WMM) the videos came out decent. On my Workstation PC (new version of WMM) there was a lot of green screen interruption on the finished project.

For sometime I've wanted to move to the mac and thought I would use iMovie. After some research I decided to try my hand at Final Cut Express.

I've tried every file converter that could get my hand on. Most of them produced video with a lot of artifacts. Patching areas (clips are of a hockey game) that float around like clouds when the camera pans) and blurry edges to the players during some movements. Most of the conversion was to M4v and mov.

I was able to work with mov in final cut express but the final product looked like crap due to the bad conversion.

I gave handbrake a try after reading your last post. I get the same results regardless of what settings I have tried. Now there are thousands of possibilities but I tried about 10 different combinations. Based on having .mts files and my recording settings do you have any recommendations as to what settings I should use in HandBrake?

FCE doesn't seem to like my .m4v files (settings). I'm at a bit of a loss. Most of the information I've come across isn't related to my issue. Also, are there FCE settings or preferences that Im missing?

Thanks,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I do have some settings, yes, they are for ultra high quality, and the encoding will take time, but they are worth it.
I will come back to you later, as I need to look on my main Mac, not my laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.