Screen Capture software like SnagIt?

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently switched from PC to Mac, and bought a MacBook (Black), where I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB, myself..yay...

I was just wondering is there a screen capture software that you recommend? During my PC days, I used SnagIt and really loved its ease and features, but unfortunately they make the software only for Windows. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
you don't need a program on osx to take a screen shot.

shift+cmd+4 will give you cross hirs to select and make a screen shot OR after youve' donoe those keys press spacebar and now when you click on a window it only takes a pic of that window.

tob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacMINIs, 1 MBPro - 17-inch
Hi... the MAC has keystroke sequences for
1. Capture screen.
2. Capture active window
3. (And my personal favorite) Capture whatever I Lasso!

Checkout your SYSTEM PREFS -> Keyboard and Mouse ->Shortcuts

tob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x MacMINIs, 1 MBPro - 17-inch
And if you want to capture a "process" (i.e. an instructional video on how to use an application or something) checkout "ScreenFlow"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi!

I recently switched from PC to Mac, and bought a MacBook (Black), where I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB, myself..yay...

I was just wondering is there a screen capture software that you recommend? During my PC days, I used SnagIt and really loved its ease and features, but unfortunately they make the software only for Windows. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TechSmith, the authors of SnagIt are working on a Mac version of that software. Although there are many screen capture utilities available for the Mac, none of them are quite as comprehensive as SnagIt in my opinion.

If you really like TechSmith products, take a look at The Jing Project. Jing has the screen capture and annotative capabilities of SnagIt, plug it incorporates online image sharing - and best of all, it's free.

Reaction score
I am so glad to know of this - I'm a new Mac user (Mini mac just arrived 5 days ago), and Snagit was one of my Windows apps that I was hoping I'd be able to find a suitable replacement for. I just downloaded Jing, and will be installing.

These forums are so great for gaining information and knowledge.

Thanks!!

Karon

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I will try system pref in the evening today.

Really looking forward to Mac version of SnagIt. Love the PC version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
While you're waiting for a SnagIt port to OS X...

shift+command+3 takes a screenshot of your entire screen

shift+command+4 lets you select a box of screen to take a screenshot of

shift+command+4 followed by spacebar allows you to select a window to capture a screen of

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I don't think (because of that MPAA foolishness among the film makers) that any of the default screen shot stuff in Mac OS X allows you to take a screen shot of whatever DVD Player is showing. Don't know about the other utilities, but Snap 'n Drag does, which is why I use it quite frequently (I make nice printed labels for DVDs I record off of my Tivo for certain recorded shows; this makes it easy to use screen shots from the show itself as the label for the DVD. All fair use and such.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
And don't forget Grab, the included screenshot utility.

Reaction score
I don't think (because of that MPAA foolishness among the film makers) that any of the default screen shot stuff in Mac OS X allows you to take a screen shot of whatever DVD Player is showing. Don't know about the other utilities, but Snap 'n Drag does, which is why I use it quite frequently (I make nice printed labels for DVDs I record off of my Tivo for certain recorded shows; this makes it easy to use screen shots from the show itself as the label for the DVD. All fair use and such.)

Thanks for this tip

I was slightly miffed when i found out i couldn't take a screen capture while playing a DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
To get the whole screen - Command+Shift+3

To capture part of the screen you select - Command+Shift+4.

To make a screen recording download iShowU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

That's what VLC and MPlayer are for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a big fan of it. And plus, that didn't come with mine I don't believe.

If it didn't come with your computer, then you wouldn't be able to use command+shift+3 and command+shift+4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it didn't come with your computer, then you wouldn't be able to use command+shift+3 and command+shift+4.

Oh, is it an application that's usable, or just a hidden thing that allows me to do what you said? If I searched it in Finder would anything come up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what VLC and MPlayer are for.

Yeah, isn't it amazing all the hoops the MPAA tries to put you through to keep you from taking a picture of one of their precious movies? Two additional players above and beyond what Apple provides us because it's otherwise crippled.

I can get the same effect with a Nikon D40, a tripod, and an 18-55mm lens focused on my monitor, but why the hoops?

"Recording industry" my a**. I have technology now. I AM the recording industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, isn't it amazing all the hoops the MPAA tries to put you through to keep you from taking a picture of one of their precious movies? Two additional players above and beyond what Apple provides us because it's otherwise crippled.

I can get the same effect with a Nikon D40, a tripod, and an 18-55mm lens focused on my monitor, but why the hoops?

"Recording industry" my a**. I have technology now. I AM the recording industry.

No, it's simply Apple that's making you jump through the hoops. The screenshot restriction is something imposed specifically by the software DVD Player, which was written by Apple, not the MPAA. VLC and MPlayer are alternate solutions to playing DVDs, and no restrictions were written into those. And I'd hardly call using an open-source, free, easy-to-install media player that's better than Quicktime, iTunes and DVD Player combined much of a "hoop" to jump through.

KeithTeeple said:
Oh, is it an application that's usable, or just a hidden thing that allows me to do what you said? If I searched it in Finder would anything come up?

It's both. You can find the program at /Applications/Utilities/Grab.app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's simply Apple that's making you jump through the hoops. The screenshot restriction is something imposed specifically by the software DVD Player, which was written by Apple, not the MPAA. VLC and MPlayer are alternate solutions to playing DVDs, and no restrictions were written into those. And I'd hardly call using an open-source, free, easy-to-install media player that's better than Quicktime, iTunes and DVD Player combined much of a "hoop" to jump through.

Written by Apple, influenced by the MPAA. "Make it hard to take screenshots of our precious movies." Sounds like something a Lord of the Rings character would say doesn't it?

Then there's the restrictions imposed on our DVD players regarding their region coding. Yet another artificial restriction of media we're "allowed" to play on "our" computers that are otherwise perfectly capable of playing.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with using VLC or any other open source program to play the occasional non-standard codec, but this format war does nothing to help the consumer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.