Going WiFi without AirPort

Reaction score
I have a Mac mini I and I want to connect a Mac compatible USB wireless dongles and setup a wireless WIFI connection with my D-LINK wireless router.

Is it possible to setup a USB wifi connection between a Mac product and a Windows based wifi product????????

IF so ...Can someone guide me or have a guide to connecting the 3 peripherals together thus giving my Mac mini wifi without the AirPort Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I don't know exactly, but you'd set up the USB device as your modem. Do that in System Preferences > Network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
To answer your question yes, you can network mac/windows devices with wi-fi. Wi-fi is platform independent.

When you say a windows based wi-fi product what do you mean?

You want to connect your mac-mini using a usb wi-fi to a wireless router. Is that correct?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what you're trying to do

OP
F
Reaction score
Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks

which model of mac mini do you have?

What's the make on model of the USB dongle ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So you have one of the older Mac Mini's without the Airport card? With Dlink Dongles it all depends if there is a driver for OSX. What is the model of the DLink Dongle?

OP
F
Reaction score
I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks

That's hit the nail on the head I think. OS X drivers are essential as it seems any that are built in aren't suitable.

If you can't find some identifier on the dongle that would help us find drivers I think you may have to cut your losses and find another adapter with OS X drivers. Belkin make one that apple support natively. But there will be others out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.