Run Windows for a USB HDD?

D

DeathToPCs

I am wondering if it is possible to boot into Boot Camp or Windows from a USB HardDrive? Or Maybe is it possible to Install OSX and Windows on a USB Hard Drive and Boot into that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Don't see why not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
DeathToPCs said:
I am wondering if it is possible to boot into Boot Camp or Windows from a USB HardDrive? Or Maybe is it possible to Install OSX and Windows on a USB Hard Drive and Boot into that?
Windows wont let u install it onto anything else but an internal drive..no idea why, but its the truth.

OP
D

DeathToPCs

I have installed windows on a external drive before. But I am wondering if I can boot to the external USB drive? I know that I was able to boot to a FireWire drive back when I had my PowerMac G4

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
USB drive should boot just fine under OSX, I just am not sure about XP on a Mac booting from any External under Bootcamp. I might try it later and get back to you.

OP
D

DeathToPCs

If you could do that I would appreciate it. I am wanting to buy a external USB drive and before I get it I want to know if it will work or not.

OP
D

DeathToPCs

OK... I got a Firewire 250 My Book Drive instead of the USB drive. I try to install OSX on there and when it comes to selecting the drive to instal it on, it tells me that OSX can not be installed on this drive because it can not boot from this drive. Why is that? Is there something that I need to do to this drive so that it can do so?

OP
D

DeathToPCs

OK... I think that I was partitioning the drive wrong. I was partitioning it with the Apple Partion Map when i think I should be using the GUID Partition Table. Am i correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest you check next :)

Guid should be it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.