Time Machine on my MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First of all I'm new here, got a macbook for over a year now, and I love it :)

Now this.
I want to update my Mac to Snow Leopard (got Leopard now), and because my Macbook will be totally reset, I want to backup my files.
Now I've bought me a external harddisk, and now i want to put all my files on it. I set the harddisk as "use for time machine", and then it started to make a copy. But is that all you need to do?
And how do I manually update it?
Reason for posting this is that i really need the files on it, so I dont want to lose them because i forgot something!
And, how do I, when I get my macbook back from the dealer, put all my files back on it? When I open the harddisk, I cant see no files, only one, called "*date*InProgress".

I hope you can explain to me how this all works!
Sorry if my grammar isnt perfect, im Dutch :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

There is no need to totally ' reset ' your Macbook when you upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard..... you can easily perform an " in place " upgrade.

Once your initial backup with Time Machine is complete, you don't need to manually update it, just make sure your external Time Machine disk is connected to your Macbook and Time Machine will automatically make a backup of all files that have changed ..... every hour.( by default )

From what you are telling us " ..... called 'date"In progress' " I suspect that your initial backup was not completed .... so check that first before you do an upgrade.
Or have the dealer confirm that for you.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Yes, all you need to do, whenever you want to make a backup, is just plug in the drive. When you plug it in, your Mac automatically recognizes it as your Time Machine disk and initiates the backup while you work. Either you can plug it in when you choose to back up (that's what I do because I only have 2 USB ports on mine), or you can leave it plugged in and it should back up hourly by default.

You don't need to manually update anything on Time Machine. It's all automatic. If you're talking about Software Update, I'm sure you know this by now if you've had a Mac for a while (  > Software Update).

When you get the MacBook back from the dealer, all you have to do is plug in your Time Machine disk. Located inside should be folders with dates and times on them.

Let me know if you need additional help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.